crimping

mattinri

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Nordhavn 46
I've been using an improved clinch on the end of my 80lb wind-on leaders but wanted to try crimping instead. I went to a well-known high end tackleshop with my reel and asked him to show me how it is done. he used 2 crimps and chafe gear. The crimps are oblong shaped. The first time he crimped across the vertical length of the oblong crimp (rather then the flatter side of the crimp) and towards the opposing end of each crimp. After tugging on it the line pulled out of the crimp! Now I'm thinking maybe this isn't such a foolproof solution after all. The second time he crimped the flatter side and in the middle of each crimp and used the smaller 0.5-1.0 gauge on the crimping pliers and it held together (at least to pulling with my fingers). So my first question is whether to crimp or tie (I always have problems cinching down my knots with 80lb Flouro), and second whether there are any tricks to crimping.

googinhater

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 yb. f/v wildlife
Hey what do you want to tie on the end and crips are like knots there is a art to it there not fool proof

hotreels73

Lieutenant
sounds like the guy working in the high end tackle shop doesn't know how to crimp. I agree, tie a palomar knot with 80 pound mono. I will even tie 130 mono leaders on spinning gear.

Bill_N

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31' JC Rowdy Girl
With 80 lb. I would use a palomar knot instead of crimps. The improved clinch gets tough to tie with the heavier mono.

Agree with this.

Whoever was doing the crimping didn't know what they were doing. It's not that hard. You have to use the right size crimp for the line and then use the correct slot in the crimping tool.

mattinri

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Nordhavn 46
Thanks all. I've never used a palomar knot, but I'll give it a try and maybe do some pull tests to compare. It'll give me something to do while we are getting dumped on by ANOTHER snow storm Sunday :)

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
Some people around here would tell you to test it with a cinder block on the end of your line. I don't know where they got the idea from, because I don't get that channel. :rolleyes:

twister

Captain
Boat Make
37 Mitchell cove
I tie everything below 130. I have a crimper set up to do under but it's just not worth it when a knot works just as good

MASTERENEGADE

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Had a DE, now 24' Privateer
As previously stated crimping is somewhat of an art. Its actually very simple as long as the right size crimps and the right tools are used for the application. Just like any other profession, you need the correct components and tools to do it right.

Depending on the brand of line(flouro or not) the average diameter of 80lb should be around .033-.035". If you want to crimp the leader or line I suggest you use Hi-Seas GS-I(1.0mm). They have worked just fine for us at our shop here on Long Island. And when you go to crimp, the sleeve should be vertical in the correct slot(closest to the end of the tool). Make sure the crimper is intended for Double compression or super Aluminum sleeves.

Aluminum Sleeves

These are all just suggestions and opinions that have worked and held up for us and customers.

I personally would tie a Palomar knot as well. This knot will give you 90% or more of the breaking strength of the line. On the heavy stuff, its not quite as easy.

If you have any other questions on this, I'll be glad to help you out.

John

LadyMaureen

Captain
Boat Make
Wesmac
Tie everything under 130lb test. After that right sized crimps to match line diameter and test EVERYTHING...knots and crimps. Palomar is the easiest in my opinion, and works well on the braids too.

My local tackle shop also gave me a good idea on most wind on crimp set ups, he puts a small piece of shrink tube over each crimp to prevent guides from getting chipped by crimps and make transition over the guides easier.

Brakeforhake

Lieutenant Commander
love bay park

Lady maureen your local tackle shop is so far superior to most it isn't even funny. If anyone on The south shore of long island is looking to tune up their offshore game hit up bay park fishing station. If you want to learn about crimping they are the ones to show you.

LadyMaureen

Captain
Boat Make
Wesmac
I totally agree, just didn't want to steal this thread into another direction. I felt I should credit my source though. Mark and his brother Glen at Bay Park Fishing Station run a great store and collectively can share awesome tackle and fishing expertise.

clementine

Lieutenant
Boat Make
18' Levy
Crimping is much more science than art.

One can crimp any # test line as long as the corresponding sleeve can be had. A pair of digital calipers really goes a long way in matching the correct sleeve to the diameter of line that is being crimped.

If the sleeve matches the line diameter and is swaged correctly (right die, position, pressure) the connection is +100% (ie: line should break ahead of the crimp).

I agree, test everything.

Old Mud

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Don
Boat Make
Ho Made
Top Bottom