Crotch Breaks

Discussion in 'Tuna Talk' started by Pilot-Werx, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Pilot-Werx

Pilot-Werx Member

New to the group, not so new to the game. This winter I finally took the time to build a proper line loading device with a digital readout and logging. Until this year I never put much time into loading line other than straight pulling. Yesterday I started playing around with rigged leaders and was surprised at how many of the 200lb lines were blowing out at around 130lb. Aside from chafing gear, what are other methods of preventing crotch breaks have you tried? Looking for more configurations to test and more than willing to share the data.

As a side note, the holding power of a B4 crimp is impressive.

Thanks!

2. Downrigga

Downrigga Captain

Boat Make:
    36' NB
    B4 crimps are the only answer to fishing for big game. I find that a lot of crotch failures are the result of the loop being formed to small.

3. Basil

Basil New Member

Try pulling the leader completely tight to the hook. No loop (no crotch to break), no chafe gear. Using the same 200lb line, repeat the test and please report back.

4. Downrigga

Downrigga Captain

Boat Make:
    36' NB
    I get the no chafe gear on the hook end but are you suggesting we should be pulling the loop tight against the hook when rigging? Thank you for sending that stuff so quickly the other day.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019 at 6:50 PM
    dirwood likes this.
  5. Pilot-Werx

Pilot-Werx Member

Will do Basil. As always, appreciate the help when I place an order with you. I am wondering if the length of line I am pulling makes a difference? You mentioned the guys up north pull it tight right around the eye. I will give that a shot in the morning.

Attached Files: