crusader vs mercruiser

captchuck

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
26' Seaway
The decision has been made with the repower of my 26 seaway. My wife and I have decided to go brand new soup to nuts with a gas fwc mpi 5.7. so the question now is between crusader and mercruiser. Both are similar in price etc. I am teatering between to different install guys and one is more into the mercruiser and the other the crusader. Both guys deal with both the only real differences that I am awars of are that the crusader is rated at 330hp vs the merc 300hp (i'm not sure on torque) and from what i've seen with reviews etc it seems that crusaders are more common in straight inboard applications.

Do you guys have any opinions etc....

phil

Lieutenant
Hi Capt- I had an 8.1L 370 HP mpi mercruiser inboard in my boat (a Lang) that was installed in 2001 with 80 hrs (eighty) on the clock when I bought it. A couple of things:
1. always started during the 7 years I had it.
2. aluminum manifolds rotted out at <300 hrs (used in salt water, but I flushed all the time). $1500 just for replacement mercruiser cast iron manifolds. Could not get a cent out of mercruiser. Yes, I know the engine was out of warrenty, but 300 hrs of use???
3. if a sensor goes, the engine goes to safe mode (basically idle speed). There is no bypass button, even if nothing is wrong with the engine (there wasn't). You are stuck whereever you are and whatever water you are in. This happened to me 3 times, luckily I was close to my marina each time.
4. pretty good fuel economy if you go easy.
5. chatter on another boating forum is that crusaders are more robust than mercruisers. My mechanic felt that way as well and he was a mercruiser guy.

Just my thoughts on this.

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
It's not so much the hours of use as it is the years of service in the boat.

Case in point, the engine that's been run for it's 10 years probably is in better condition than it's martini class counterpart that's sat idle in the marina running the engine only to charge up the battery banks for the refrigerator, even though it has 10,000 hrs on it versus 100. Sitting kills an engine, be it gasoline or diesel.

Roy G

Lieutenant
Hi Capt.,
I have a Mercruiser 5.7/350 Mag MPI Horizon in my 26' Shamrock (straight inboard).
I have about 800 hours on it and the motor has been great. When it was new a coil went bad, other than that and the fuel regulator getting gummed up (ethanol gas) it's run flawlessly. Fuel economy is good.

Roy

twister

Captain
Boat Make
37 Mitchell cove
Look at marine power if you haven't, it
Is a good gasser, but for your two crusader for sure. Dealt with a few merc's worked ok but the crusader I had put them to shame in being able to run well past 1k hours

captchuck

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
26' Seaway
I want to make sure I choose a manufacturer that has service in my location which is part of why I have narrowed my search to crusader and merc. Even with that said there are still far more merc guys around! The two installers I am teetering between are neither very close but I want to have the install done by someone who is routinely doing it rather than the guy on my creak who prob does an inboard once every few years if I had to guess.

Field Tester

Commander
Website
www.fieldtester.net
When you say brand new, do you mean reman?? The brand new engines all have emissions. On a gas inboard, that means cats in the manifolds. Replacing those cats are big dollars!! And they do need replacing over time! I am a outboard mechanic in Montauk, but work with our inboard guy from time to time. On repowers, we usually install the "remans" which are basically new motors with warranties but are either bored out (for example mercruiser makes a 383 stroker) or have a rebuilt starter or something so that you don't have to deal with the emissions . I have not seen any problems with the remans. Have you thought about going that route? Re: merc or crusader, I think both are good. I haven't seen more issues with one over the other and we deal with both.

captchuck

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
26' Seaway
When you say brand new, do you mean reman?? The brand new engines all have emissions. On a gas inboard, that means cats in the manifolds. Replacing those cats are big dollars!! And they do need replacing over time! I am a outboard mechanic in Montauk, but work with our inboard guy from time to time. On repowers, we usually install the "remans" which are basically new motors with warranties but are either bored out (for example mercruiser makes a 383 stroker) or have a rebuilt starter or something so that you don't have to deal with the emissions . I have not seen any problems with the remans. Have you thought about going that route? Re: merc or crusader, I think both are good. I haven't seen more issues with one over the other and we deal with both.

Yes brand new
the remans I looked at we're not much savings and the warranty was shorter. I'm currently leaning towards the crusader from the reviews I have read on the hull truth etc. really looking for some more opinions though.

Top Bottom