Cummins 210hp engines? in Sabreline boat for sale

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
This boat is for sale and looks like a ton of boat for the $. What are those engines though? Hoping they are not some obsolete model like the 8.2 detroits.

Follow the link and scroll down through the pics and there are a few good bilge/engine room shots.

Midcoast Yacht & Ship Brokerage (Tenants Harbor, ME)

hntrss

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31 Duffy
Great engine. Minimum life of 10,000 hours. They make that block over 400 hp now. Their are plenty of them with WAY more too.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
What model engine is it though?

offshore31

Captain
i can't tell the model from those pics, maybe one of the others can. if it's a 6b (5.9l inline 6), that is a great engine. however its no longer in production. parts are plentiful, and you can but "new" re-conditioned ones from cummins in higher horsepower (270, etc). if its a 6b, i wouldn't be afraid of that engine as long as its been maintained. ask the broker for the model number, or hopefully one of the DE cummins guys will chime in.

Fouraces59

Commander
First Name
Jay
Boat Make
26 Seaway CC
I had a 6BT in my 36' Novi boat and got 13,000 hours before I repowered. I went to the 6BTA, aftercooled brought me from 210 hp to 260 hp and a 12kt cruise in a 36x14 Novi. Great engine

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
What model engine is it though?

At 1st glance it looks like a Cummins 6BT 210.
If you look @ the right side of the engine looking from the front of it there is NO after cooler.

Great motor, millions out there around the world, still being produced, low hp/liter ratio, tons of torque, cheap American made parts.:D

BTW, surprised the dry riser exhaust is not "wrapped" with a heat insulation wrap. That pipe gets upwards of 800-900 degrees F:D

offshore31

Captain
toolate, like you've heard here, great engines. easy to work on, plenty of parts. you won't go wrong if you choose a boat with them. make sure to get a good cummins mech to go over them when you decide to buy.

Bill, not sure if i'll be out this weekend or not. if i'm out, maybe we'll hook up. if you get out, give me a shout on 5/68. still want to hear the story

BillD

Admiral
Boat Make
toolate, like you've heard here, great engines. easy to work on, plenty of parts. you won't go wrong if you choose a boat with them. make sure to get a good cummins mech to go over them when you decide to buy.

Bill, not sure if i'll be out this weekend or not. if i'm out, maybe we'll hook up. if you get out, give me a shout on 5/68. still want to hear the story

I "should" be out on Saturday checking the traps, weather looks GOOD !!

BillD

Admiral
Boat Make
Bill, I thought they stopped the 6b's and only did the new recons?

Joe

Yup, 5.9 is dead except the RECONS down in good old Mexico !!;)

btw, I'd bet money that ALL the RECON Cummins coming out of the Mexico facility are "more or less" 100% new. Why?

The number of RECONs being produced, when you include ALL 6B/BTA, 6CTAs, QSBs, QSCs, QSMs, QSLs, well there are NOT enough old blocks and components to keep up with the production demands.

100% new with maybe a label or two that state "remanufactured" like in the Bosch pumps on my 370s. :D

If one has an "older hull" for repower, the Cummins RECON is the "best buy around", no other manufacturer has a RECON program like it !;)

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
Did anyone actually look at that boat? The bridge and salon are just incredible for a 34 footer and the interior finish is gorgeous. Decent cruise speed too.

Not exactly "fishy" though and I think that might be it's undoing as far as I'm concerned. Thanks for the information on the engines. Very comforting to know that they are not some Oddball unit that is out of production.

Still looking…

guitarman

Commander
Boat Make
Dyer 29 Hardtop
Did anyone actually look at that boat? The bridge and salon are just incredible for a 34 footer and the interior finish is gorgeous. Decent cruise speed too.

Not exactly "fishy" though and I think that might be it's undoing as far as I'm concerned. Thanks for the information on the engines. Very comforting to know that they are not some Oddball unit that is out of production.

Still looking…
Just lay a big tuna on the sofa and it would be fishy in no time one or two days at 95 degree and it would be fishy:-D

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
probably have to put a seatbelt on him to keep from sliming up the oriental rug...lol

Top Bottom