Cummins 6.7 550 hp debut @ Miami Boat Show

plowin

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
33' flowers
Did I read this wrong or is Cummins comparing the 550hp 6.7 QSB diesel to a gasoline engine?

plowin

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
33' flowers
Rumor was they were going to offer a set of steak knives with it as well.

8943post

Commander
Boat Make
33 Duffy
Makes sense to me. Like many of the European car builders, BMW Porsche and Audi, Cummins must see the market for high performance diesel engines.

Turned up gas engines used in race boats don't live a long life because of the horsepower they make. Using a diesel with it's obvious torque advantage and strong block might save a racer from rebuilding that race engine after every race.

plowin

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
33' flowers
If making a comparison, why not compare it to another manufaturers engine of a similiar displacement and horsepower. The whole "press release" did not make a lick of sense to me. This engine was supposed to be the "second coming", replacing the 5.9. Comparing it to a gasoline engine in a race boat in my opinion misses the market they were supposed to be targeting. We will see how much they want to move into the race circuit. If Travis starts sporting Cummins stickers instead of Sisu we will have our answer. Money and freebies talk!!

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
If making a comparison, why not compare it to another manufaturers engine of a similiar displacement and horsepower. The whole "press release" did not make a lick of sense to me. This engine was supposed to be the "second coming", replacing the 5.9. Comparing it to a gasoline engine in a race boat in my opinion misses the market they were supposed to be targeting. We will see how much they want to move into the race circuit. If Travis starts sporting Cummins stickers instead of Sisu we will have our answer. Money and freebies talk!!

Mike,

I'm confident that as the hours increase and the years pass you'll be very pleased you chose a Cummins marine diesel for your new 33 Flowers.

You may not care for the Cummins as a company but with the number of proven engines in service world wide and particularly the states, parts availability, service and expertise of owners and forum moderators... I bet you'll be satisfied.

When the time comes, I'll be choosing a Cummins marine diesel. Not a QSB 6.7 550 ;) The NAVY can buy them.:D

FWIW,

Bill D

plowin

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
33' flowers
Not really breaking there chops on this one Bill. I just cannot for the life of me figure this press release out.

plowin

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
33' flowers
I guess your right. The oil change cost was a little concerning also now that you mention it. Why so much money?

FPTMarineDiesel

Captain
I wondered the same thing. Oil and filters cost 750:confused:
FPT NEF 560/570 filter pricing is $30.00 max, and there is only one needed, fuel filter is $25.00 max. We don't require synthetic oil, although for the highest rating is recommended in some cases dependent upon duty cycle and application. Even with that I don't know how you come up with $750.00 for our engine? We use a high efficiency oil filter as well and it is still quite low in cost. We allow 300 hours for oil change intervals for the highest rating in this engine family also.

I thought that there were posts on here about cost of ownership being favorable towards everyone else but the FPT product recently? Oh, but I did show that they were no more expensive then the competition then also for the 5.9L comparison. ;)!

BillD

Admiral
Boat Make
I guess your right. The oil change cost was a little concerning also now that you mention it. Why so much money?

Bring your car or truck into a GM/FORD etc. dealership for an "oil change".
You'll get hosed!:D

We all know what 3 or 4 gallons of Rotella T 15-40 costs and a Fleetguard oil filter:

Part Number: LF3894 Fleetguard OEM
Description: Premium oil filter for all B and QSB's
Price: $16.00 each

Last edited:

BillD

Admiral
Boat Make

I wondered the same thing. Oil and filters cost 750:confused:

Now that I think of it.
The marketing guy or technical writer @ Cummins should have read this over
BEFORE the release. Or maybe had "us take a peek @ it" 1st:rolleyes: !!!!!

BillD

Admiral
Boat Make
FPT NEF 560/570 filter pricing is $30.00 max, and there is only one needed, fuel filter is $25.00 max. We don't require synthetic oil, although for the highest rating is recommended in some cases dependent upon duty cycle and application. Even with that I don't know how you come up with $750.00 for our engine? We use a high efficiency oil filter as well and it is still quite low in cost. We allow 300 hours for oil change intervals for the highest rating in this engine family also.

I thought that there were posts on here about cost of ownership being favorable towards everyone else but the FPT product recently? Oh, but I did show that they were no more expensive then the competition then also for the 5.9L comparison. ;)!

Peter,

With ALL due respect and speaking for myself only, even if the parts $pricing$ were "identical" between Cummins and IVECO/FTP marine diesel engines 5,9s to 5.9s or 6.7s to 6.7s I'd still be choosing a Cummins even with the big discounts you are offering.

My reason?

FTP may make a great engine as does Cummins but my biggest concern is next day/2nd day parts availability for every piece AND off brand component on the engine and a BIG question will be if parts, factory service and the company will be around 10 years down the road ?

No other reason than that. Just peace of mind for me.;)

I wish you well as you build the IVECO FTP numbers, parts and service network.

Regards, Bill D

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
I know this engine gets great reviews BUT we just got 12 of them in our new work trucks. They all have crazy electrical problems, seems every day one is down from an alternator or starter or fuel pump or some other issue. Not very impressed to say the least.

Top Bottom