cummins 6b

reeg75

Lieutenant
Went to look at a bhm today. powered by a 220 cummins. When we went to fire her cold she cranked over slow then fired. My Question is that gray diesel smoke shot out of the exhaust ,It was somewhat steady until she came up to temp.. I know it was 10 degrees out, just wondering if normal. Gas guy talking. What to switch over.

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
Went to look at a bhm today. powered by a 220 cummins. When we went to fire her cold she cranked over slow then fired. My Question is that gray diesel smoke shot out of the exhaust ,It was somewhat steady until she came up to temp.. I know it was 10 degrees out, just wondering if normal. Gas guy talking. What to switch over.

Perfectly normal without any heat in the engine.

My 2009 6BTA 370s (500 hrs) stone cold @ 30F cough and stumble a bit when 1st started. All clears after a few minutes.

I'll share this FWIW. The "gold standard test" for assessing a marine diesel engine's "innards" without any gauges, measurements, oil samples...you name it is "how easy it starts "stone cold"! Stone cold is referred to as freezing F.

If that engine started @ 10F....then that's a very good indicator that the base engine is decent !

offshore31

Captain
second what Bill says. i had a pair of 330's with 2400sh hours. stumbled, smoked when below 40 but would clear up as they came up to temp. did you feel the block before starting to make sure it was ice cold? no block heaters on it? if it was ice cold, that's pretty impressive.

if it started in this cold, the base engine is probably in pretty good shape. is that the one in Ct?

WC1966

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Webbers Cove 34
Oil weight

Just curious what weight oil is spec for these motors
I use 40w in my DD6v53N and the thought of a cold start in NE today
makes me shudder:eek:

offshore31

Captain
if i remember correctly, 15/40w. i agree with you, in this weather let sleeping diesel's lie. on the other hand, there's plenty of guys making a living on the water, even in this cold.

reeg75

Lieutenant
cummins6b

Thanks everyone, for the response. I did feel the block before starting, it was cold. I told him that i wanted a cold start. Im happy with the boat, if he take my offer than I own my first downeaster!

offshore31

Captain
That's a good engine, so congrats no matter which one you got. I'm just waiting for some warmer weather to do a survey/seatrial on a 31 bhm myself. really looking forward to the boat.

Top Bottom