Cummins aftercooler

traditions

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 Holland
Has anyone got into a Cummins aftercooler? Not the best design by any means. I had mine out of the boat, and took off the endcaps, and tried to press out the core, after soaking it in Kroil . Yea right. I called the local mechanic and asked about availability of a replacement, last one he checked on , delivery in November. So I put it back together with some grease and new o rings, and hope for the best. Bronze core and end caps, in aluminum housing, with steel bolts holdin on the end caps, into stainless helicoils I am guessing. Seaboard had one on their site , north of 5 grand. I guess I would take my Deere over this , with the coolant run thru the cooler. Great engine , the Cummins, but why such a Rube Goldberg for the aftercooler. I know a bunch of the engine makers do the same . Just venting a bit.

ARC

Captain
Boat Make
31’ eastern Casco Bay
It’s the easiest cooler to service. You just have to do it as a maintenance item along with everything else. I do mine every 250 hours. If you need help , just ask.
20154146-45BF-4BCD-B724-6E7A9316692A.jpeg 20154146-45BF-4BCD-B724-6E7A9316692A.jpeg 2C4DF6A6-B094-4C5B-B242-AD914D396F3B.jpeg View attachment 112211 BDE0AC74-A2AB-4610-9B7D-4D2AD391D09B.jpeg A481BB90-BD4D-48EC-BCC8-9A071CF0AD71.jpeg

Pitou

Commander
First Name
Kevin
Boat Make
'06 Albin 31 TE
I agree, it's more about marine age than hours. Shame on me, I had been six years between services and did my sea water service on my QSC winter of 2019 / 2020. My aftercooler was a bear getting the core out. The core wouldn't budge and the previous service was done with RTV all around the o-rings .. what a mess.

Between the overdue service and the RTV, it took me six weeks of Kroil and pressing using 3/4" plywood discs that I cut to the circular diameter of the core's outer edges. I wish that I had a real press, but did not and had to improvise. I set one plywood disc at a time on top of the core with two 1/4" X 2" aluminum plates side by side beneath one end cap with slightly longer cap bolts to accommodate the added thickness and as the plywood disc pressed in I would switch to slightly shorter bolts to get the disc fully pressed in. Once flush, I would then add the next and the next plywood disc and repeat until the core would not move. Spray more Kroil and let rest a day or two and spray Kroil until I could get the core to once again begin to move. Five or six weeks later and right down to the last 3/4" and disc it finally came out. Doing this myself and over the winter made the patience worth while. Paying someone would have been cost prohibitive and I was determined to complete the job and not buy a new AC.

I cleaned everything up (core and housing) sanded and painted any corroded areas of the housing and pressure tested the core, reassembled using the Seaboard protocol and added a flush water flush system which I use every time that I return back to the dock and never want to or will be back in that situation again. I plan to service after three seasons and evaluate and see if with the fresh water flush that I can then go four. 20200327_195511.jpg .75 ply with .25 aluminum plate.jpg 20200402_195930.jpg 20200402_205458.jpg 20200403_114854.jpg 20200403_195206.jpg 20200503_164641.jpg 20200513_193833.jpg 20200514_184507.jpg

traditions

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 Holland
My engine has 3000 hrs since the last time i was taken apart and greased. If I did it every 250 hrs, that would be 4 times a season. Its not at all dirty, I was just going to remove it and service it so this wouldnt happen. Too late on my part. No parts available is the most disturbing problem.

Dslpwr

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
35' Mitchell Cove, 13’ Whaler
My engine has 3000 hrs since the last time i was taken apart and greased. If I did it every 250 hrs, that would be 4 times a season. Its not at all dirty, I was just going to remove it and service it so this wouldnt happen. Too late on my part. No parts available is the most disturbing problem.
The availability issue should be getting better, Cummins has a new supplier coming online. I was talking to some insiders at the company this week

05bill

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
rp, willis beal

HARDTAIL

Lieutenant Commander
Lite User

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
Great info guys. Posts like this one and the follow-up info have helped me out tremendously over the course of the past year! I have been considering doing a rydlym flush as a preventive measure to get me through the season. Any concerns with these chemical flushes...do the chemicals affect the overall longevity of the cooler itself? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.
I don't think it affects the longevity. When using acids, it's always good to have a base chemical nearby. I use bicarbonate (soda ash) to neutralize and rinse through afterwards.

ARC

Captain
Boat Make
31’ eastern Casco Bay
Pitou, you have patience , good job. I have done quite a few. I 50 ton press drives them right out but you have to use what you got. Very creative.

Pitou

Commander
First Name
Kevin
Boat Make
'06 Albin 31 TE
ARC, Thanks for the compliment.

I searched high and low for a buddy around me for for an adequate press. Nothing to be had with enough throw/spread. The closest was a buddy in W. Durham who had a friend Downeast that could help out. I figured I'd try the back yard tool shed method first and with patience, it worked.

Just like Traditions, I wasn't thrilled on the prospect of spending $4K on a new AC. Spoke to one of the highly regarded diesel mechanics in my area at the time and he said labor wise, he would have thrown it in the dumpster and billed me for a new one .. very glad that for the first time I did this job myself and will always again in the future.

F/V KRISTA MARIE

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
General Marine 26
I have found that any engine that has a vertical mounted aftercooler/intercooler removing them more regularly is crucial to prevent corrosion versus a horizontal one. By design and gravity they basically always have more saltwater sitting in them when not in use than a horizontal mounted one.

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
Take apart, clean and grease heavy every two/three seasons and taking the time to fresh water flush after using the boat will prevent the dissimilar metal stuff locking the three components all together.

I serviced the cooler last month before selling the boat with instructions for the new owners

IMG_4595.jpeg

IMG_4596.jpeg

xbskt

Vice Admiral
First Name
Jeff
Boat Make
28 Crowley Beal
Is swapping over to a different AC that is less prone to problems an option? Remote and horizontal?

traditions

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 Holland
I have a new design one coming from the West coast. It is a genuine Cummins , totally new design. Holiday probably going to put it into next week before it shows up . I hope it is a direct fit replacement. The price for the old design was 2 grand more than the new model?? They must want to get the old ones out of circulation

Top Bottom