Cummins pulled for a Scania

c1steve

Captain
The owner of that new engine should be fully documenting all of this. If Cummins will not come out and solve the problem, an attorney will resolve the issue and it will be expensive.

In California, Cummins has an excellent reputation. Parts readily available, the Cummins rep responds quickly to inquiries and is easy to work with.

Diesel Jerry

Admiral
Lite User

Duramax0530

Ensign
First Name
Trevor
The owner of that new engine should be fully documenting all of this. If Cummins will not come out and solve the problem, an attorney will resolve the issue and it will be expensive.

In California, Cummins has an excellent reputation. Parts readily available, the Cummins rep responds quickly to inquiries and is easy to work with.
As he is. I know for a fact he’s made Well over 100 phone calls trying to get some help... and nothing has come of it.

WoundUpMarine

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
John
Boat Make
26' Duffy, 23' Seaway, 14' Holland

xbskt

Vice Admiral
First Name
Jeff
Boat Make
28 Crowley Beal
Trying to stay clear of this one but 21 lbs of oil pressure normal?

WoundUpMarine

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
John
Boat Make
26' Duffy, 23' Seaway, 14' Holland

Tenacity Tuning

Lieutenant Commander
First Name
Dominic
Boat Make
25 T-Jason
Trying to stay clear of this one but 21 lbs of oil pressure normal?
21 is fine with hot oil. But I like to see more as well. For example, the spec on your 6CTA is minimum 10psi at idle and approx 70 wot.

Boat Make
26 JC
So, my take on the 660 M11. It didn't come from an 11 liter truck engine , it came from the dependable L10. Mostly known in lease and fleet trucks as a very dependable truck engine, it needed little maintenance and turned out lot's of trouble free, low fuel miles at around 300 Hp. Marinized, above 450 hp, Cummins elected to use the dry exhaust manifold and an aftercooler specific to that rating (450 and less use the C aftercooler), I guess to keep engine size down, and it's been a problem. The biggest stumbling block is the high cost for performance that isn't that much better the 450C, which is much cheaper new, and to maintain. Take a C aftercooler to be cleaned and an M11 and see which one is likely to come back done at a reasonable cost.
Best example I can give goes back about 10 years. A customer with a 42' Chesapeake deadrise had the original high hour 450C fail after an overheat. The boat ran 22 knots at WOT. Talking about repowering he wanted to move up to the M 660. I talked to him about it, mentioning that the high horse C is probably the best value in any engine lineup. It's not just the high cost of the engine, but moving to a ZF 305 gear, bigger isolators, larger fuel lines and Racors, shafting up to 2.5" including seal, coupling, strut and cutlass, bigger exhaust, electronic controls, larger intake air vents, and repropping. He wanted to do it and after I don't know how much money the boat gained less than 4 Knots.
It's not that the QSM11 is so bad, it's just that the 450C is so good. So many love the B, truck and marine, but the C is probably Cummin's best small engine for value, especially in recreational marine.
My next boat, if i can afford it, keel cooled 525 N14. Another cheap, durable engine.

Last edited:

Paul Gavaza

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Black Horse 33
I am confused. If there is 17% load showing on the engine with no attachments ( No parasitic load) , is would seem that 100% load would be showing well below the engine's rated output???

Boat Make
26 JC
There's always parasitic load. I forget the actual load % numbers but the engine is turning the seawater and jacket water pumps, alternator and the transmission input shaft. They add up. Ask anyone with a mechanical B or C how much the tach dips when the intake heater cycles.
As for oil pressure our acceptable lowest was 2lbs per 100 RPM at operating temperature. I like to see it higher.

Last edited:

Paul Gavaza

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Black Horse 33
At this point, if he isn't getting support from his dealer, a lawyer has to get involved. If he can walk away from a new engine, to buy another new engine, he can certainly afford a lawyer.
Considering the sterntubing this poor guy has apparently gotten from the manufacturer so far, and the money he must of had to put out for another engine, so he can continue to fish, a lawyer seems like the next logical step.

Duramax0530

Ensign
First Name
Trevor
There's always parasitic load. I forget the actual load % numbers but the engine is turning the seawater and jacket water pumps, alternator and the transmission input shaft. They add up. Ask anyone with a mechanical B or C how much the tach dips when the intake heater cycles.
As for oil pressure our acceptable lowest was 2lbs per 100 RPM at operating temperature. I like to see it higher.
That load was with trans disconnect and all belts removed. Including alternator.

Powderpro

Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
A diesel engine at idle, not in gear, will register some load %. Here are 2 screenshots of Tony Athens test running new Cummins marine engines in the yard, these engines are still sitting on the crate, and they are registering a small load at idle. I'm still a little confused on the point of this entire thread... A QSM being pulled out and replaced with a better performing or more modern designed engine is nothing new or newsworthy. A lot of guys with boats are not well informed... I get calls and emails from them all the time.

Screenshot (189).png

Screenshot (190).png

Boat Make
26 JC
There's gotta be a full story. I'd be interested to hear.
Yes, there should be more to it than just idle showing load. Did it turn up to rated RPM and what was the boost then? That shows if it's making power or not. Like I wrote further back a good running 660 M11 doesn't make a boat that much faster than a 450C. As for warranty response it depends on who is covering it and how much the engine is at fault. I've had situations where we were slow to respond and other times where I've repaired or replaced the engine at a dealers before the boat was even advertised.

Boat Make
26 JC
After talking to a friend who knows more on the situation Cummins has been less than helpful and won’t stand behind it. They wouldn’t even entertain the idea of swapping computers.
Have you been on this boat? I haven't worked for them for a long time but I find it odd that Cummins refused to do anything to cover a new engine. As for swapping the ECM that might be because it might not be the problem. It's like when an engine underperforms customers immediately blame and want a new injection pump on engines that have them.
Who pulled the gear to check load at idle, that's a lot of work. Be more interested to know the numbers at WOT. Not arguing, just curious.

Last edited:
Top Bottom