Cummins QSL9

TRUE NORTH

Lieutenant
Boat Make
BHM 36/8.1 375 John Deere
Does anybody have the Cummins QSL9... 405 hp at 2100 rpm. Looking into repowering and that seems like a fairly decent package. For a lobsterboat that is. Any feedback on this motor will be great. thanks!

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH.. Piscataqua and Merrimack Rivers
Boat Make
27 H&H with Cummins QSB 5.9 480 power
Does anybody have the Cummins QSL9... 405 hp at 2100 rpm. Looking into repowering and that seems like a fairly decent package. For a lobsterboat that is. Any feedback on this motor will be great. thanks!

You'll be hard pressed to find a better powerplant.
You'll never wear it out.
And you can run it to the pins as long as you'd like !

ALSO, regardless of the power plant you choose, make sure your exhaust is designed and installed properly. Get ALL the height you can above the turbo outlet with a dry riser and use gravity to drain the exhaust mixer.

mainely boats

Captain
You'll be hard pressed to find a better powerplant.
You'll never wear it out.
And you can run it to the pins as long as you'd like !

ALSO, regardless of the power plant you choose, make sure your exhaust is designed and installed properly. Get ALL the height you can above the turbo outlet with a dry riser and use gravity to drain the exhaust mixer.

Hey Bill, I repowered a 38' South Shore I built years ago with one last year, I took out a 650 Mack pulled his gear off and bolted it to the 405 Cummins...we didn't even have to change the pitch on the prop. So far great commercial engine.

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH.. Piscataqua and Merrimack Rivers
Boat Make
27 H&H with Cummins QSB 5.9 480 power

True North,

My buddy Tony Athens out @ Seaboard Marine in CA has no less 40 QSL9 405s in service that SB maintains. Most are commercial applications with over 5,000 hrs. some over 10,000. He's had zero issues with the motors.
That particular Cummins is a "great no frills engine".
405 hp out of 9.0 liters with gobs of torque @ an easy 2100 rpm = long life!!!

As with ALL SWAC marine diesels, installation, exhaust design, engine loading and religious maintenance of the salt water cooling system (especially aftercoolers) is the key to a long trouble free life.

For what it's worth,

Bill D

Top Bottom