Cummins recon 480

ecottle3

Lieutenant
Hi guys I think I am going to repower
With a qsb5.9 480 recon
I have a 440 yanmar and want to be done with it
I am on Martha’s Vineyard where should I buy it from?
would like to install on Mv and get it aligned and commissioned by who I buy the motor from if possible
Please let me know me if you have any ideas
Also what I should be looking at for a rough price with out a core?

Reactions: BBO

ecottle3

Lieutenant
With a qsb5.9 480 recon
would like to install on Mv and get it aligned and commissioned by who I buy the motor from if possible
Maybe I wasn’t clear as I re read my question I want to purchase the motor from a dealer in mass and have me and my friends install it and than have some one commission it
Who has a good price on Cummins recon and most importantly easy to deal with?

05bill

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
rp, willis beal
With a qsb5.9 480 recon
out of curiosity, want to be done with the 440 , elaborate pls.

ecottle3

Lieutenant
out of curiosity, want to be done with the 440 , elaborate pls.
The 440 has 1000 hours on runs good last time I was offshore the oil pressure gauge went flat line
I checked everything looked ok
Lightly cruised back
Called Niemic they thought it was a oil pressure sensor I changed that still nothing
The low pressure sensor goes off when started like normal
But shows no pressure
I Had a mechanic look at it yesterday
He said the motor is running good starts on half a crank but now looks like it might have some blow by.?.?
So he recommended a few things that I could try but there was no smoking gun and said they still might not fix the problem
On top of that I got this boat to go to the canyons and I Need reliability more than anything as I don’t have time to fish, work and fix the boat only have time for 2

05bill

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
rp, willis beal
The 440 has 1000 hours on runs good last time I was offshore the oil pressure gauge went flat line
I checked everything looked ok
Lightly cruised back
Called Niemic they thought it was a oil pressure sensor I changed that still nothing
The low pressure sensor goes off when started like normal
But shows no pressure
I Had a mechanic look at it yesterday
He said the motor is running good starts on half a crank but now looks like it might have some blow by.?.?
So he recommended a few things that I could try but there was no smoking gun and said they still might not fix the problem
On top of that I got this boat to go to the canyons and I Need reliability more than anything as I don’t have time to fish, work and fix the boat only have time for 2
call roger sherman .508 400 6311 he knows these engines very well. .i have a 370 ,1500 hours .

i know the 440 had issues initially with valves.

good luck ,keep us posted.

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
I bought a new Recon QSB 5.9 480 two yrs ago from a dealer in Peabody Ma.
Did my own install and slpashed the boat a few weeks ago. I'm waiting on the dealer to hook the Cummins proprietary laptop to the engine and get the engine into warranty service.

If I recall correctly, I paid $ for no core exchange and $ up front to have the engine put into service warranty after my install.

You'll need to find a Cummins Marine dealer to purchase the engine from and then make arrangements for the dealer to come to the boat or you getting the boat to the dealer for the laptop connection.

btw, the 5.9 QSB is a great motor.

just my opinion on your thread

southshore30

Captain
Lite User
Boat Make
36 Northern Bay

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
Cape Cod marine in Harwich sells Cummins, Gorham’s diesel is a great guy to deal with and you already have a relationship with Niemiec, they sell Cummins too. Hard to believe that Yanmar is junk at 100 hours. Just oil gauge goes blank? Must be an electrical connection. Easy to install a mechanical gauge as backup for piece of mind until you get that squared away
mechanical gauge has to be BSP thread, almost easy :)

WoundUpMarine

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
John
Boat Make
26' Duffy, 23' Seaway, 14' Holland

ecottle3

Lieutenant
Thanks for all the advice
I ordered a gauge and adapter (bsta)
From Napa and Amazon to see what one shows up first but both say end of next week u till it shows
I will keep you guys in the loop

xbskt

Vice Admiral
First Name
Jeff
Boat Make
28 Crowley Beal
I am surprised no one has mentioned it but Yanmar panel gauges are notorious for failure. Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater yet.
+2 on Doug at Gorham Diesel. He is a great guy to deal with.

05bill

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
rp, willis beal
yanmar are usually very reliable , so as xbskt says dont throw the baby out yet. imo , to ease my fear,i would check to see if there was/is an issue with your valves vis a vis engine number and if so change to inconol valves. not a mechanic but have researched this ad nauseam.

good luck

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
What’s that mean? Type of threads? If so a Yanmar tech must have a way of doing a mechanical gauge for diagnostics
It’s something that isn’t common around here. Just a joke. They use British stand pipe , which is similar to npt taper thread, but pitch is different. You’ll find a lot of mechanics (even “yanmar” )winding npt fittings in them. I have some adapters that I use.

ytmarine

Lieutenant
First Name
Whitey
Boat Make
Webbers Cove / Morse 34
Roger Sherman (508-400-6311) Middleboro, MA area sorted out my 6LYA and have trouble free 700 hours since. He is Mr. Yanmar and quick to respond.

southshore30

Captain
Lite User
Boat Make
36 Northern Bay
Top Bottom