Cummins replacement for a Yanmar

Rockasauras

Captain
...My Cummins guy is on Vacay. Would anyone know if you can squeeze a QSB 425hp in the same space as a Yanmar 6ly-stp 370hp if not how about the older B series 370 Cummins ?

eyschulman

Commander
Boat Make
Devlin 48 & Marshal Sanderling
The Yanmar and Volvos are probably the most compact units particularly if overhead is an issue. Ask Tony Athens at Boatdiesel.com he sells and installs Yanmar and Cummins units.

Nighthawk

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Carolina Classic
The numbers I have:

C-Top C-Bottom L W
6LY 23.8 9.4 50.2 32.2
6.7B 22.7 10.7 60.1 38.8
5.9B 22.3 13.1 55.3 34.7

QSB6.7 is 10" longer, 6" wider and a bit taller than the 6LY

Rockasauras

Captain
Thanks for the input guys. I was attempting to see if there were any viable alternatives to the Yanmar if and when a replacement might be needed. Was also looking more a little more speed on this rig but the space is not only limited down below but at the prop too.

FPTMarineDiesel

Captain
Thanks for the input guys. I was attempting to see if there were any viable alternatives to the Yanmar if and when a replacement might be needed. Was also looking more a little more speed on this rig but the space is not only limited down below but at the prop too.
Have you looked at the FPT NEF 6.7L 450 hp engine? We have successfully replaced 6LY Yanmars in 4 Hinckley's now, 2 of which were twin engine and had very limited engine space. The FPT marine packaging and overall dimension is much more clean and compact than what you are comparing currently. We have also had no issue repowering a Hinckley 29' Runabout that was originally fit with a Volvo D6, we repowered also with the NEF 6.7L 570 hp engine. Just curious.

Peter

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH.. Piscataqua and Merrimack Rivers
Boat Make
27 H&H with Cummins QSB 5.9 480 power
...My Cummins guy is on Vacay. Would anyone know if you can squeeze a QSB 425hp in the same space as a Yanmar 6ly-stp 370hp if not how about the older B series 370 Cummins ?

The "older" 6BTA 370 (although when you buy a new RECON the motor will be 100% NEW with all the newest updates and Tier I) is about an inch narrower than the QSB and if my memory serves me FPT NEF 6.7 450 will be a couple of inches shorter in height than a 6BTA 370 but of course the NEF being Tier II or better will be much more expensive than the 6BTA 370.

You will not find a shorter height wise engine than the 6ly.

WoundUpMarine

Admiral
Lite User
Website
www.woundupmarine.com
First Name
John
Boat Make
26' Duffy, 23' Seaway, 14' Holland

BillD

Admiral
Boat Make

BillD

Admiral
Boat Make

Rockasauras

Captain
maybe i missed something, but what kind of boat is it? does it already have an engine box? maybe engine height isnt the issue, just width and length.

The boat is a 31 Willis Beal and it does not have an engine box. Also, I may be limited with a 22" wheel. I would like to see it cruise in the 19kt range without running in the upper limits of the load range. Could be this is not possible with this rig.

Rockasauras

Captain
What happened to the Yanmar?[/QUOTE

The Yanmar in the boat (that I am looking to buy)is good. I am hoping to pick up a couple kts of cruise speed so I am planning ahead to see if this could be accomplished in the space provided. The Yanmar has a small footprint which you are aware of. The purpose of my inquiry is to find out if it is possible to achieve these expectations prior to purchasing. The boat is a 31 Willis Beal, and the good folks I have had contact with on this forum have indicated that my cruise would be roughly 15kts...I was also quoted 17 @ 80% load. I got the feeling 15 is what to expect. If I knew we could get 18-19 with this rig with a engine HP increase in space provided this deal will be done. The other issue is there may only be room for a 22" wheel....

FPTMarineDiesel

Captain
Try this again,

Here are the dimensions of the Yanmar 6LYA. Easy enough to measure up what will fit or not fit.

QSB 5.9

NEF 6.7

http://scyr.org/stellablue/6LYA_TechData.pdf

http://www.sbmar.com/Maintenance/PDF/QSB 5.9 220A Mar 2011- 4953807.pdf

http://www.mshs.com/pdf/brochures/FPT/NEF/FPT_N67-280.pdf

btw, the QSB 5.9 is offered as a Tier II RECON.....very very competitively priced.
Please don't refer to the NEF 6.7L 280, it is not an engine that is sold in the U.S. any longer. Please only refer to documentation up to date that is attached here.

http://www.mshs.com/pdf/brochures/FPT/NEF/FPT_N67-560.pdf

Thanks

BillD

Admiral
Boat Make
Please don't refer to the NEF 6.7L 280, it is not an engine that is sold in the U.S. any longer. Please only refer to documentation up to date that is attached here.

http://www.mshs.com/pdf/brochures/FPT/NEF/FPT_N67-560.pdf

Thanks

My apologies, the spec sheet was posted on Hugo Stamp website..your FPT distributor.

I was looking for dimensions for this guy...not performance.

Is the 280 the same footprint as its big brother 570 ?

Yes ?? No ??

FPTMarineDiesel

Captain
My apologies, the spec sheet was posted on Hugo Stamp website..your FPT distributor.

I was looking for dimensions for this guy...not performance.

Is the 280 the same footprint as its big brother 570 ?

Yes ?? No ??
All the FPT engines are posted on the MSHS website, but you have to know which engine family you are looking for before you get started. No, they are not identical, the mounting foot print is similar but not 100% the same and dimensions are different as the hardware is not the same due to torque output. The dimensions are attached to the same brochures as the performance graphs.

Top Bottom