Cummins RPM's

bluefin650

Commander
Looking to find out if the RPM's are automatically governed with an electronic QSC 8.3? I am looking at having a prop reconditioned and they think that there is a possibility of loosing 1/4" of material on the total diameter of the prop.
I'm just trying to find out if the engine will compensate for the decrease in drag and a possible increase in RPM?

Last edited:

Tuna Pursuit

Rear Admiral
Website
www.oliverwelding.com
Boat Make
Thunnus
I'm not sure about the governor but you need to make sure it makes max rpm with no load to start. The prop shop should give you a spread sheet to fill out with different rpm readings in order to dial in what you need.

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
Looking to find out if the RPM's are automatically governed with an electronic QSC 8.3? I am looking at having a prop reconditioned and they think that there is a possibility of loosing 1/4" of material on the total diameter of the prop.
I'm just trying to find out if the engine will compensate for the decrease in drag and a possible increase in RPM?

Bluefin,

Read this over.

Prop to the upper engine on the range

Propeller_sizing[1].jpg

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
Photo tach the boat at WOT in no load to make sure she is hitting the governor.
On the wheel, I would re-pitch before losing any diameter. The edge of the blade does the bulk of the work. A cut 23" wheel is not the same as a factory 23". Once cut you cannot go back. Re-pitching is much more forgiving.

bluefin650

Commander
Decreasing the diameter was not my first choice. The tips of the blades are chewed up pretty bad and it is assumed that I will have to loose some diameter to fix them.

Top Bottom