Cummins WTF

plowin

Admiral
Boat Make
33' flowers
The saga continues with this company. Although they seem to make a nice product the company is complete shit. The salesman who sold me my motor has left the company, only know this because I tried contacting him regarding an incomplete order, and there number one service guy has left or been removed from the company for undisclosed reasons. For the state of Maine customers this is probably a good thing since you will now be dealing with a more responsible and hopefully educated salesman. With the wonderful company known as Cummins I am left with an un paid "warranty" bill of $633.00 from Dions Yacht Yard which was extremely helpful in resolving my first issue, an oil change drain line assembly that was never delivered as PAID for and a never delivered schematic of how to hook up my rudder position indicator on my Cummins/Smartcraft vessel view. I must say the engine transmission package has been very,very nice but the companys marine division is complete shit. Like Obamacare, what good is a warranty if they company is not going to pay on it..........................................exactly, no good!

If I were doing it again and Iveco/FPT were still committed to the US market as they seem to be now, as a matter of principal I would go with them over Cummins.

This is a bit of a "rant" I know but it could also save someone else on the site a lot of disappointment and aggravation.

CEShawn

Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
I feel for you, not just about the Cummins but with anyone who try's to make a living from the water. Everyone who has a 9-5 job just doesn't seem to care. Everyone is a day late and a dollar short.

cummins salesman

Mel Moulgard is the general manager of the marine division in Dedham. He was the salesman locally. Will Collins took his place and does follow up on questions/ problems

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH.. Piscataqua and Merrimack Rivers
Boat Make
27 H&H with Cummins QSB 5.9 480 power
Peter Emerson does a great job promoting and problem solving FPT/Iveco marine products for many owners and boat builders on this forum.

IMO Cummins sales/service dropped the ball on getting a person similar to Peter on this forum to promote and represent Cummins marine products.

fwiw,

djmarchand

Captain
Boat Make
Atlas Pompano 23 outboard
It seems like your problem is with a couple of individuals and not the entire Cummins company and it does the company a disservice to badmouth it generally. But I realize that for YOU, these individuals were the face of the company.

Either work with the new individual noted above, or find the Cummins regional manager and ask him to resolve your problems.

And FWIW I much prefer a very knowledgeable dealer like Tony Athens over on boatdiesel to help with engine application issues than a factory guy. You get a much better perspective and less of a factory party line.

David

plowin

Admiral
Boat Make
33' flowers
South Shore, thanks for that. Ken Flowers gave me the same name and a phone number for him. I have spoken to him before and he was very helpful and quick to get back to me. I am going to give him a ring and talk to him. Bill I agree with you 100% they dropped the ball..................................repeatedly. David I used Tony Athens advice when selecting this engine package for my boat and would use and take his advice again in the future. As far as bad mouthing a company goes I stated that I thought there product was very good and I am very happy with it but the bottom line is that as far as I am concerned the company stinks and has got some work to do to earn back consumer confidence. Additionally I intentionally left the names of the individuals involved in this out of it because I did not want it to become a personal issue. I believe that most people that visit the site and are members of DEBF are looking for this kind of information regarding other peoples experiences in order to make a better decision for themselves. I value the members of this forum and the "success" they have with any projects far more than I worry about hurting the feelings of the folks over at Cummins and I also do not mind if the company has a disservice done to it. They are not the ones taking phone calls from a guy that came down to fix my brand new engine over memorial day weekend and still has not been paid. I have always paid my bills and intend to get his paid.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
If you are paying $20k (more?) for an engine, it should show up with all the parts at least....

pugsley

Captain
$50k??? what a qsm11??

nothing but bad bad bad luck with them down here.

plowin

Admiral
Boat Make
33' flowers
That is correct it is an 8.3 QSC 500hp. Again, a real nice smooth running engine but that is about all that was smooth running. Next time around I will be dealing strictly with a certified vendor and not the "mother" company. I am just going to have to wade through some bullshit to get this resolved.

Powderpro

Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
That is correct it is an 8.3 QSC 500hp. Again, a real nice smooth running engine but that is about all that was smooth running. Next time around I will be dealing strictly with a certified vendor and not the "mother" company. I am just going to have to wade through some bullshit to get this resolved.

Sorry to hear about this, at least the engine is sweet. When I have been shopping for engines for my boats, Cummins always seemed like they didn't give a rip if I bought an engine from them or not, so I haven't. The dealers I have used for my Iveco's and John Deere's have been great, and I wouldn't even consider anything but a Deere, Iveco, or Volvo in my neck of the woods.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
Try $50K.....and you are a dreamer !!!:D

I think its painfully clear to all at this point, no?

My point is that he is not on a rant- he has every right to be really f'n pissed off.

Thats a lot of cake to get nickel and dimed. Communication with customers couldnt be easier today- we dont even have to talk to eachother or move to communicate so the idea that he cant get through is ludicrous. We are talking about one of the biggest Diesel engine companies out there too!

plowin

Admiral
Boat Make
33' flowers
My guess is that when I call Mel Molgard at Cummins northeast he will respond in a resonable amount of time as he has in the past. Either way I will let you all know how it goes.

FPTMarineDiesel

Commodore
Peter Emerson does a great job promoting and problem solving FPT/Iveco marine products for many owners and boat builders on this forum.

IMO Cummins sales/service dropped the ball on getting a person similar to Peter on this forum to promote and represent Cummins marine products.

fwiw,
Hey there Bill, thanks for noticing and making a point to comment about my personal investment into supporting the FPT product. I am glad to help anyone that I can, even if they don't own an FPT/IVECO engine. My diesel background is a long one with many other brands as well, including managing a Cummins dealer at one point.

Peter

plowin

Admiral
Boat Make
33' flowers
Wish you were still there Peter! Since I haven't heard you comment in there (cummins) defense I can only begin to imagine what your thoughts are in regards to the company.

FPTMarineDiesel

Commodore
Wish you were still there Peter! Since I haven't heard you comment in there (cummins) defense I can only begin to imagine what your thoughts are in regards to the company.
I cannot knock their product, for the most part it is a good one. There are some clear differences in design and functionality engineering from a maranization point of view that is a benefit to the FPT product and surely we have much higher power density and fuel economy than Cummins. Cummins has a good support system in place and have had 80 years or more to put it together, they out rank us at the moment there, but we will catch up. In my opinion and observation, Cummins has allowed themselves to become complacent and too comfortable in the marine industry, they are not coming out with updated product platforms quickly enough and are behind on performance and technology, this could really hurt them moving into Tier 3 next year. If I were a Cummins support person, I would be a bit alarmed by their slow response to the market demands for higher horsepower more efficient and compact engines. But since I don't support their products, I am for sure not complaining that they are allowing us to blow the door open on the industry! Wait until we unveil our offerings over the next two-three years for Tier 3 marine engines!

Last edited:

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH.. Piscataqua and Merrimack Rivers
Boat Make
27 H&H with Cummins QSB 5.9 480 power
I cannot knock their product, for the most part it is a good one. There are some clear differences in design and functionality engineering from a maranization point of view that is a benefit to the FPT product and surely we have much higher power density and fuel economy than Cummins. Cummins has a good support system in place and have had 80 years or more to put it together, they out rank us at the moment there, but we will catch up. In my opinion and observation, Cummins has allowed themselves to become complacent and too comfortable in the marine industry, they are not coming out with updated product platforms quickly enough and are behind on performance and technology, this could really hurt them moving into Tier 3 next year. If I were a Cummins support person, I would be a bit alarmed by their slow response to the market demands for higher horsepower more efficient and compact engines. But since I don't support their products, I am for sure not complaining that they are allowing us to blow the door open on the industry! Wait until we unveil our offerings over the next two-three years for Tier 3 marine engines!

Peter,

I'm a Cummins marine enthusiast. I've owned four Cummins engines and will own a fifth soon. Granted all five are non-Tier compliant smokey mechanical marine diesels but these engines are STILL being produced for the marketplace with all the latest components and their service record is 2nd to none.

And I can buy any part or component on these Cummins engines and receive it within a day or two if needed.

You stated above:

"they (Cummins) are not coming out with updated product platforms quickly enough and are behind on performance and technology, this could really hurt them moving into Tier 3 next year."

Is it not true that:

The QSB 6.7 was released as a Tier 3 and all QSC’s that ship from the factory after Nov 1, 2013 are Tier 3 and that the QSL9 will ship Tier 3 after Jan 1 2014 along with the QSM11 at 600HP.

Tier III on new builds begins Jan 2014 correct? Wheres the lag or complacency as defined by Cummins product offerings?

as always FWIW,:D

Bill D

btw, "no popcorn needed":)

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
Is the 6.7 cummins available? Last I heard you old order one but no promise when you would get it.

Top Bottom