Cutlass Bearing- Metallic or Non-Metallic??

gmac

Commander
Changing bearing and wondering which to so with??

Also, it did have a brass one and there was a grounding wire running to the set screws/bolts. Is this need?

Thanks!!

CB.jpg

gmac

Commander
This is what it looks like now.

Almost ready for glass work...

IMG-20130612-00445.jpg

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
I have never seen or heard of anyone using a jumper wire on bronze cutlass bearing in wet tubes. All of the wet tubed boat down my way use bronze units and no jumper wire. No one has ever had a problem.

gmac

Commander
That's what is was wondering because I never seen a wire before or the to bronze 1/2" bars on the side.

It clearly was a add on as can be seen by the fiberglass patch job that was done. Maybe they have more problems down South with the warmer water. Boat was in Florida.

jwalka51

Captain
Boat Make
26' Webber Cove lobster boat.
I disagree. the composite bearings are sooooo much easier to install and remove. I have done both. my boat currently has a composite bearing in the front end of the tube and a metal one in the rear end and I really wish that I had just put composite in both ends. removing a composite one is literally a 15 minute job. they are so easy that you can beach your boat at high tide, let the tide go out and pull the shaft and replace the bearing and re install the shaft before the tide comes back up. save yourself the cost of hauling out.

Top Bottom