Cutlass bearing source/quality differences

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
Anyone recommend one brand or supplier over another? I have a 1 1/2" shaft and need one so thought I would ask. Dont suppose its the kind of thing most people buy that often so maybe some builders? Any help would be appreciated.

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
I like the Johnson/Duramax brass sleeved bearing For 1.5 shafting the cost is
$105 for the thin walled 2" O.D.
$115 for the thick wall 2 3/8 O.D.

Make sure you put plenty of soap on the bearing before sliding the shaft through.

jwalka51

Captain
Boat Make
26' Webber Cove lobster boat.
You can get that same bearing for around 70$ if you shop around. I think I got mine from deep blue yachts. It was the 2" od. I believe that they call it the fatfish.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
All of the rubber compounds inside are the same? None is better than the other I guess?

Deepfisher1

Ensign
Try the shaft saver by Palmer Bearings, they are on the internet. The old cutless is removed from the strut or bearing holder on the "deadwood" and a new brass sleeve is pressed in. A brass sleeve that has a "rubber" bearing is slid over the shaft and lockin with excentric collars. The rubber bearing rotates in the brass sleeve. In most cases the bearing will last 15 years or more. An assy. for 13/8" costs about $250.00. You'll save money and time. FWIW, Anthony

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
Deep- have you used this product and if so on what kind of boat/shaft size etc? Any pics?

Looks interesting. My biggest concern with any of this is when it breaks-where/how do I get parts? Smart idea wish they had a pic of the real part on the site.

Deepfisher1

Ensign
Palmer shaft saver marine bearing

This company is online. Initially developed for military use. Call them for sizes and how to measure for a particular size. I have a 27 fiberglass fishing boat in Hawaii. I have used 2 bearings since 1990.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
Very interesting- thanks for the info. I have seen their site but couldnt find any actual pics of the unit like you provided. Will check it out again.

Hard to believe someone has reinvented the cutlass but it looks like a better way to me. Not using the shaft as the bearing surface and getting more bearing surface in one step. Sounds like its well made too.

tunafishhkg

Captain
Boat Make
35 Duffy
Installed a few and I think best use is if you have shallow water or slips that subjects you to a lot of sand. Lot of clearance in this design that I wonder if its a good thing and when I asked, was told it self centers? Maybe at high speeds but to make up over an 1/8 at low speeds? Its still rubber that maybe can dry out? Be aware of clearance issues for shaft zinc on our DE boats since the lock down collar sticks out. FWIW

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
Installed a few and I think best use is if you have shallow water or slips that subjects you to a lot of sand. Lot of clearance in this design that I wonder if its a good thing and when I asked, was told it self centers? Maybe at high speeds but to make up over an 1/8 at low speeds? Its still rubber that maybe can dry out? Be aware of clearance issues for shaft zinc on our DE boats since the lock down collar sticks out. FWIW

I have no clearance aft of the prop so this is out for me. A full 1/8"? Half that seems like a lot to me.

Top Bottom