Cutting fiberglass laminate

tburke

Lieutenant
Some changes to the interior will require cutting through one 3/32" to 1/8" FG skin. A carbide circular saw blade seems to work. Any special type?

In some cases, I would like to cut close (within 1/8" ) to an inside corner. Have a $20 carbide chip Dremel blade 543, but it wore out after 5'.

Have a 3 3/8" portable circ saw, regular 7 1/4" and a Sawzall. Ideas??

Thanks

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
NewsImage_34667.jpg

A cut off wheel might work better for you. Nothing gets as close as a hacksaw blade by hand though, get yourself one with the highest number of teeth, 24 does a better job than 18, and 32 does better than 24. A small hole drilled where you want to begin will help greatly with the hacksaw blade. Just hold it at a slight angle and start drawing material away with it, soon you will be able to go at it with more vigor.

tburke

Lieutenant
Thanks. Have an angle grinder as shown but thought an abrasive cutoff blade would just get too hot quickly and not cut. What type blade do you think will work?

Thanks

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
see the "excess deck" still attached to the hull sides.

The plywood was glassed to the hull with "whatever the guy used" for glass mat and resin.

I used the oscillating saw cut to cut about 35 lineal feet.
Took less than 1/2 hour and I did not run risk of cutting into the side of the hull.

I even use "one hand" to hold the Fein.

IMG_1663.jpg

Last edited:

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
Regular wood blade on sawzall does a quick job of demo work too.

Roto zip cuts nicely in tight spots but would not want to use it for anything longer than a couple inches in a corner or whatever.

twister

Captain
Boat Make
37 Mitchell cove
Once you get the hang of one of the oscillating tools they work great. I just used one to to easily cut a 5/1glass 1/2" nidacore 1/8" glass lay up. When I got the hang of what the tool liked it was just as fast as a jigsaw and lots easier to control and fit in tight spots.

tunafishhkg

Captain
Boat Make
35 Duffy
I have a 5yr old well used oscillating tool from Harbor freight 40.00 so can buy a few Feins for that. Get the good blades and you are good to go!!

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
I have a 5yr old well used oscillating tool from Harbor freight 40.00 so can buy a few Feins for that. Get the good blades and you are good to go!!
Tuna Is right about the one from H.F. It's well worth the money....It was on sale for 19.99 not to long ago

pyrofan

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
wilcox and midland
I've used all the tools already mentioned, each works great for different applications. Sometimes I use a reciprocating saw with a metal long metal cutting blade, the blade is flexible enough to bend it, to let you get as close as you want.

tburke

Lieutenant
Bill D,
A Fein looks good. Please tell me which blade you use for long straight FG cuts. I only see "carbide segment " blades of various thicknesses for grout removal. They could work, are there others?

Does anyone know it Bosch makes a better blade for thick FG layups?

Thanks

Roy-c

Commander
We used a Harbor Freight toe kick saw to cut the deck out. Cuts right up against the hull with no damage to hull. Roto zip and a dremel for into the corners.

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
Bill D,
A Fein looks good. Please tell me which blade you use for long straight FG cuts. I only see "carbide segment " blades of various thicknesses for grout removal. They could work, are there others?

Does anyone know it Bosch makes a better blade for thick FG layups?

Thanks

Here ya go:

3-1/2 in. Multi-Tool Half-Moon Blade

These blades cut like butter. The "multi-tool" blades fits the FEIN.

btw, I don't think it matters what manf tool you buy. I wanted a variable speed tool and liked the supposed quality of the FEIN.

hntrss

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31 Duffy
I bought the rigid from HD, and for 40 bucks I got a right angle drill head for the body. Used the hell out it already. Less than half the fein and works just as well. Way less. On sale 99 bucks.

d86a4a26-af41-456a-82b6-5a42f70c46a1_1000.jpg

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
Here ya go:

3-1/2 in. Multi-Tool Half-Moon Blade

These blades cut like butter. The "multi-tool" blades fits the FEIN.

btw, I don't think it matters what manf tool you buy. I wanted a variable speed tool and liked the supposed quality of the FEIN.

When those get dull you can put them in a vise and use the sharp edge of a half round fine tooth file to make new teeth and they cut (wood anyway) like new. Free too.

Raider Ronnie

Vice Admiral
Lite User
Website
www.bostonharborcharters.com
Boat Make
33 Flowers.

tunaluvr

Lieutenant
Best thing I bought to cut fiberglass is a diamond blade with a flush cut mount. Spent the money on a blade and can't believe how long it last. I'm still using it after building my boat and cutting tons of fiberglass. I mount it on my variable speed grinder. Slower speeds for close work.

Top Bottom