Cutting Fiberglass

Pedlyr

Captain
I have a molded hardtop that I want to cut to shorten. About 70" wide. I purchased it premade and I believe it is just basic polyester resin with a gelcoat finish on both sides. Not sure what may be the core.

It might be 3/16" thick and the top has a camber with a 2" coming all the way around.

I was thinking of using my 4 1/2" trim saw. Or my 7 1/4" skilsaw. What is the best blade so that I get a smooth cut and minimum chipping. Will pretaping the cut help any?

Last edited:

Islandlure

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Harris 36
I've used plywood blade in past and put some tape down before you mark it out. Not sure if its right but worked for me in the past. Also have heard if you put blade in backward but never tried it.

Eastporter

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Sold- 20' Eastporter (Rebuilt 2011) 22' Pearson Ensign
I've used "for metal" blades in my jigsaw for rounded cuts and it worked well. A blade with carbide tips on my circular saw made quick work of straight cuts. Whatever you decide please wear a mask- those fiberglass strands in the dust can harm you. Using painters tape is a good idea also to get a better finished cut.

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
Carbide tooth saw blade on your 7 1/4 circular, set the depth just beyond your total depth required, like 1/16 - 1/8, you can do a curve with this as well. Be sure the blade is spinning at full rpm before you start your cut, kickback is what claims fingers.

Top Bottom