Cutting the plywood off the deck flange ??

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
Hello ALL,

I'm almost finished scrubbing and degreasing the entire inside of the hull.
I still need to remove the plywood lip around the inside of the hull from under the deck flange.

The plywood is either glued or glassed to the underside of the deck flange.
I prefer to cut out the wood without cutting off the deck flange.

Admin Bill sent me a link to a "special tool" that will slide in and cut between the fiberglass flange and the plywood.

Any other "tips", "techniques" or suggestions ??

Appreciated, Bill D

IMG_1711.jpg

IMG_1705.jpg

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
Why don't you want to get rid of that? The deck flanges I install are all below the decking material so you can remove 100% of the deck and replace it if need be. It's going to be a pain to slip new deck material in under the piece of fiberglass that you leave in place. If you are dead set to keep it there, use that handy dandy tool or just grab a hacksaw blade and a crowbar. Slice up through the plywood every foot or so and pop it out with the crowbar.

Bill

Founder
Boat Make
27 Terry Jason
this is the tool, it might take a long time with the condition of that plywood, my deck was screaming to come out from under the flange and didnt require sawing..If you are going to keep flange maybe cut a little more off before you go at it with the oscillating saw.. I got mine on ebay its a $34 knock off but it does the job.. also good for removing balsa

Multi Function Power Oscillating Tool Scraper Sander Cutiing | eBay

16 1 Oscillating Multitool Saw Blade for Rockwell Sonicrafter RK5102K 01 08 Worx | eBay

BillD

Admiral
Boat Make
Why don't you want to get rid of that? The deck flanges I install are all below the decking material so you can remove 100% of the deck and replace it if need be. It's going to be a pain to slip new deck material in under the piece of fiberglass that you leave in place. If you are dead set to keep it there, use that handy dandy tool or just grab a hacksaw blade and a crowbar. Slice up through the plywood every foot or so and pop it out with the crowbar.

Good point Travis,
I'll "rethink" the process.

Bill, thanks for the link

harpoon83

Commander
First Name
Colin
If deck height isn't an issue, just turn the top of that flange into the bottom of your new deck height, 3/4 inch difference, you have to add stringer height with the wedges anyway right?

Bill

Founder
Boat Make
27 Terry Jason
If deck height isn't an issue, just turn the top of that flange into the bottom of your new deck height, 3/4 inch difference, you have to add stringer height with the wedges anyway right?

if you do this is it ok to taper the deck around the scuppers if they arent high enough or should they we raised?

harpoon83

Commander
First Name
Colin
Im no boat builder by trade, but I would raise them. less work to fill in the gap on the lower half I would think, and just cut the "scuppers" a little higher on the top edge. I, sure someone with more insight will chime in.

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

harpoon83

Commander
First Name
Colin
route the area in front of the scupper and then just glass it, if you are dead set on using the existing deck flange, that way you can just rip the old plywood out and not worry about it, jam a sawzall in there.

BillD

Admiral
Boat Make

Harp,

Not a bad idea BUT I do not want to give up the 3/4" loss in height to the bottom edge of the inside wash rails.

The rails hit my legs just right, I will not lower the rails by raising the deck.;)

I'll figure it out. This is a very MINOR problem to solve considering the overall scope of the project !

btw, I still need to get over your place and see you, your brother's and your dad's progress on the 33 Young Brothers :D

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
We usually run a trench down along the sides of a deck for all the various bits and pieces to go when the boat is being worked, not uncommon for the clearing port (scuppers are on sailboats fellas) to be on this level instead of the deck height.

chrisp

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
23 SeaCraft
Bill I used the porta cable osilating tool when i cut the floor out of my boat (sprung for the good one had a a lot of cutting) I used the 180 deg cupped blade cuts perfectly flush. Be prepared to by a few blades the fiberglass does a number on them. The tools also works great sanding the edges and corners.

Bill

Founder
Boat Make
27 Terry Jason
We usually run a trench down along the sides of a deck for all the various bits and pieces to go when the boat is being worked, not uncommon for the clearing port (scuppers are on sailboats fellas) to be on this level instead of the deck height.

Didnt know I was using a sailboating term,, demerits for me,, do you have anypics of the trench?

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
this is the tool, it might take a long time with the condition of that plywood, my deck was screaming to come out from under the flange and didnt require sawing..If you are going to keep flange maybe cut a little more off before you go at it with the oscillating saw.. I got mine on ebay its a $34 knock off but it does the job.. also good for removing balsa

Multi Function Power Oscillating Tool Scraper Sander Cutiing | eBay

16 1 Oscillating Multitool Saw Blade for Rockwell Sonicrafter RK5102K 01 08 Worx | eBay

I bought one of those tools at harbor freight think it was 19 or 29 bucks, its a great tool for fiberglass another handy tool is one of those small air saws. I found blades on ebay from this seller specialtydiamond

High Speed Metal Saw

Central Pneumatic - item#91753

image_11763.jpg

Last edited:

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
How close is the end of the old deck plywood to the inside of the hull sides on average? Looks like you have about 3" of fiberglass tabbing going up the sides on top and about the same left to your cut on deck.

Seems like it would be less of a job if the plywood was short of the hull sides by an inch or so. Maybe could be cut into short pieces with the oscillating cutoff tool (any brand) and then chiseled out in pieces to preserve the flange. Any space there or does it go all the way?

The alternative (I am asking here so please, someone correct me if I am wrong) is to cut it off, grind a clean area to glass too- probably the same 3" area that you can see extending up from the deck, lay your new beams/plywood and then glass/tab the whole thing in? Seems like, if you are glassing the whole deck then it might just be much easier to cut that old flange away.

My sisu has a glass perch that the deck sits on and the decks are 2 layers of 3/4" plywood and sit only on bulkheads (no deck stringers). Totally different approach and a lot less framing below decks. See pic.

image.jpg

BillD

Admiral
Boat Make
the scupper is a drain in a cockpit that goes below deck and discharges overboard through the hull

ill crawl up on the 28 tomorrow and grab some pics of the trench

Tomy has a trench all the way around the cockpit of his 36 Wayne Beal that drains out the SCUPPERS !!

I'll stay with the term "scupper". :D

Scupper - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

btw,

I can't find a definition for the term "clearing port" ??

clearing port - Search results - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
Bill,

It is "Freeing port" not "clearing port".

A scupper is an opening in the side walls of an open-air structure, for purposes of draining water. They are usually placed at or near water level, and allow rain or liquids to flow off the side of the open-air structure, instead of pooling within the walls. ..

CaptMissMac

Lieutenant
As far as I know Terry Jason didn't use a deck flange. The height of the deck was determined by the height of the deck beams. The deck beams that run port to starboard sit on top of an auxilary stringer that runs fore -aft. The auxilary stringers are bolted to posts that are built off your main stringers that are glassed to the bottom of your hull. Your deck is made of 3/4" AC exterior plywood that is glassed over with 1-1/2 ounce matt. The back of the plywood and all edges are given just a couple of coats of resin. (I used West Systems Epoxy on mine.) Then strips of woven roving are glassed to the edges of the deck and up the side of your hull. This is what you think looks like a deck flange! Little hard to explain but if you look at the stuff you cut out as you ripped up the deck you should be able to get the picture.

Top Bottom