D Day Tomorrow at the NEFMC Meeting

CaptDave

Commodore
Boat Make
31' Eastern w/John Deere 6076 AFM30
Any bets, will it be the 1249 MT allocation or the 1500 of GOM Cod at the meeting tomorrow? Either way it won;t be good news.

Dave

googinhater

Admiral
Boat Make
38 yb. f/v wildlife
Good luck Dave hoping for the best but its not good it will pay off in the long run we have no fish to go for next season I hope you charter guys can do better then up commercial guys again good luck you need it this go round

CaptDave

Commodore
Boat Make
Shawn,

You are correct, we knew this was coming and I guess we are just waiting for the final vote. Good luck to all the fisherman

Dave

novivin

Admiral
Lite User

greg

Commodore
A complete moratorium (north and south of Cape Cod & Georges) would be the best bet cod have left.

Any mortality man exerts now is just a kick in the gut while the man is down.

That would mean a complete closure of the entire sector (at least for groundfish). Haddock, pollack, everything.

You can't close cod except for incidental bycatch. The fish would just float to freedom instead of go to market.

I don't see them closing the fishery, but who knows.

CaptDave

Commodore
Boat Make
Listening to council meeting now, motion on table for 1550 MT and many folks are stating the number is too low and therefore just shut down the fishery. I have been listening quite a bit of day and Dr. Dave Pierce the MA representative spoke about the economic impact on commercial vessels and the infrustructure. He has yet stated anything or anyone else regarding party charter or recreational. Starting to sound like some members want 1249 MT # and feels the extra 300 MT does not matter. I believe that extra tonnage may be a difference of 01 or 02 extra fish for the bag limit and MIGHT make the difference on booking a trip.

Once again a sad state of affairs

CaptDave

Commodore
Boat Make
They voted for 1550 MT for GOM cod about a 77% cut. Georges Bank cod voted for 2500 MT

Dave

Mobeach

1st Mate
Boat Make
28' Seaworthy BHM
Dave,

What are the chances of giving the recreational sector the same % allocation as 2012? If that's the case, the bag limit shouldn't change by much as my understanding is with the 9 fish bag limit, we didn't even take 38% of the reduced amount last year? I'm sure I am being far too optimistic!

CaptDave

Commodore
Boat Make
MoBeach,

That is a slight possibility however there are some folks who feel that if the fish moved in and it picked up we could catch the allocation by the end of May and not give all anglers an opportunity. If this is the case the issue will be trying to convince the council that a three or four fish bag limit is as good as zero. We will see how it shakes out at the next meeting as far as the size, bag limits and seasonal closures are effected.

Dave

Top Bottom