Damage lever drag reels by adjusting out of free spool?

MAArcher

Admiral
I've read that you can damage a lever drag reel by turning the adjustment knob when the lever isn't in free spool. But I can't find a real world account of this happening, what the symptoms of damage are and how to fix them? Has anyone heard of a reel getting damaged by adjustment out of free spool?

kapnd

1st Mate
I’m not sure if it could or would damage the reel, but it moves much more easily when the drag lever is in freespool, and the manufacturer recommends it, so I’ve made it a habit to adjust it that way.
Its a PRESET adjustment, something you should do at the dock with a scale attached to the line, there’s no reason to be messing with it when you’ve got a fish on!

MAArcher

Admiral
I’m not sure if it could or would damage the reel, but it moves much more easily when the drag lever is in freespool, and the manufacturer recommends it, so I’ve made it a habit to adjust it that way.
Its a PRESET adjustment, something you should do at the dock with a scale attached to the line, there’s no reason to be messing with it when you’ve got a fish on!
I’m just asking because I’m wondering what to look for when evaluating a used reel. How do you know if someone’s damaged a reel this way?

Top Bottom