Damn, watch that 3 mile limit.....

greg

Captain
I've never heard of anything quite this harsh before. They must have made a real habit of it...

FISHING NEWS: Virginia Charter Captains Sentenced Six Months For Illegal Fishing

attachment.php

NORFOLK -

A pair of captains licensed to run charter boats in Virginia were sentenced Thursday for trafficking in illegally caught striped bass.

Jeffrey S. Adams of Hudgins was sentenced to 180 days of home confinement to be followed by three years' probation. The 41-year-old's company - Adams Fishing Adventures Inc. - received three years of probation. Adams' vessels must maintain Vessel Monitoring Units during the probation.

David Dwayne Scott of Lusby, Md., was sentenced to three years' probation. He also must pay $5,600 to the Lacey Act Reward Account and $1,900 in restitution to NOAA. Scott, 41, cannot work as a charter captain or commercial fisherman anywhere in the world.

The pair earlier this year pleaded guilty to Lacey Act violations, which make it unlawful to transport, sell, receive, acquire or purchase any fish or wildlife taken, possessed, transported or sold in violation of any U.S. law.

The two admitted they took anglers into the Economic Exclusive Zone, an area in the Atlantic between 3 and 200 miles off the coast where it is illegal to target or possess striped bass.

Spence

Lieutenant Commander
Anywhere in the world? What's the legal basis for that? I would guess there are lots of places that could care less about a U.S. violation but I could be wrong and would be interested to know more

Frigate

Captain
Boat Make
38' Duffy/Flower
This regulation has been effect for many years. Anyone in the charter business in an area where bass are caught know about this the regulation.

That being said, the charter guys from Montauk on this board need to describe thier problem with this regulation. It is not as simple as in Md or Va were if they go over the the line at three miles they are in violation.

twister

Captain
Boat Make
37 Mitchell cove
The montauk guys are in violation if they fish block island for bass. Transiting across is a
Violation. Same as transiting in any other direction than to Rhode Island and I think it is more restrictive than that. Like transit to Pt. Judith only.

greg

Captain
The montauk guys are in violation if they fish block island for bass. Transiting across is a
Violation. Same as transiting in any other direction than to Rhode Island and I think it is more restrictive than that. Like transit to Pt. Judith only.

I'm pretty sure there is an exemption for fishing block within 3 miles then transiting to either RI or NY. As long as gear is stowed and no lines are in the water for any species you can run between block and the mainlad in any direction.

I'd have to look it up though. I know it's definitely legal to run block to mainland RI.

Found it....

EEZ closed to all striped bass possession or fishing. Atlantic Striped Bass may not be fished for, harvested, retained, or possessed in or from the EEZ. One exception - within Block Island Sound, possession of Atlantic striped bass is permitted, provided no fishing takes place from the vessel while in this EEZ area and the vessel is in continuous transit through the area. This area is north of a line connecting Montauk Light, Montauk Point, NY, and Block Island Southeast Light, Block Island, RI; and west of a line connecting Point Judith Light, Point Judith, RI, and Block Island Southeast Light, Block Island, RI.
So that is pretty much any port from point judith to block to montauk point and west.

Last edited:

twister

Captain
Boat Make
37 Mitchell cove
I stand corrected, but it looks like you shouldnt run to newport or east with a load of bass

Top Bottom