DE boats at anchor-Opinions

Tuna Pursuit

Rear Admiral
Website
www.oliverwelding.com
Boat Make
Thunnus
If all goes well I'll be building or buying in about 3 years. I do alot of chumming on anchor. Some of my buddies say thier boat will quarter and swing around funny when anchored rather than sit into the wind, very annoying. Two boats that sit funny like that are the 38 young bros & 38 Duffy according to what my friends with these boats have reported. I'm strongly leaning towards a 36 calvin beal. Any opinions or experience with this?

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
As with any keel boat, whether it be a sail boat or DE it will be affected by current. If the wind and current are not going in the same direction the one that is stronger will have more influence on how the boat hangs with the two forces(wind and currnt) acting on the boat, above and below the waterline. Surface area and depth of keel are going to play a big roll in which force will be more overpowering and the resultant direction the boat hangs.

Brooksie

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
Lack of windage aft causes some strange lays at anchor (and mooring). Watch any mooring area with DE boats, they all ride about the same, I don't think your friends are right on the Duffy & Young Bros IMO

Tuna Pursuit

Rear Admiral
Website
www.oliverwelding.com
Boat Make
Thunnus
As with any keel boat, whether it be a sail boat or DE it will be affected by current. If the wind and current are not going in the same direction the one that is stronger will have more influence on how the boat hangs with the two forces(wind and currnt) acting on the boat, above and below the waterline. Surface area and depth of keel are going to play a big roll in which force will be more overpowering and the resultant direction the boat hangs.

Absolutley that is the reason, I guess the question should of been are some better at anchor than others.

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
Lack of windage aft causes some strange lays at anchor (and mooring). Watch any mooring area with DE boats, they all ride about the same, I don't think your friends are right on the Duffy & Young Bros IMO
Brooksie is correct....They are all about the same.....when we are winter blackfishing and there are a few different kinds of downeasters on the reef.....they all react the same to wind and tide......so wind against tide on anchor and your gunna lay side ways

Last edited:

jim

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
44 John Williams (stanley)

Is that the reason I see some Maine lobsterboats with stay sails? I guess adjusting the sail keeps your bow into the wind when hauling. If so it might be worth it for some canyon boats to rig a small stay. Ive spent a few "less than" comfortable nights on the hook out there when we sat beam to. We usually tried to bridle the anchor line but its a pain in the ass out on that bow in a heave. Seems it would be easier adjustiing a sail in the cockpit.

Frigate

Captain
Boat Make
38' Duffy/Flower
I can only speak for myself but my 38 Duffy does not sit funnier than any other DE with all the conditions being the same.

morgan1727

Commander
I can't remember if I read it on this site but I thought the mate of Tuna.com, Sandro, was talking about their boat saying how well it handled in all kinds of sea conditions, but added at the end that it did sit different than other boats at times on the hook.

GLA

Commander
when I anchor mine it has to be thru the anchor roller dead center on the bow.
if I attach the anchor line to a cleat, and run the anchor line next to the anchor pulpit, only a foot off center. it will cause the keel to catch the current and will swing right or left way off the spot I am trying to anchor on. and no amount of rudder will swing it back. tried a bridle once and wound up past 90 degrees to the spot I wanted to sit on.
trying at times

Lion's Paw

Lieutenant Commander
Website
www.divehatteras.com
Boat Make
42 Duffy
Doing dive charters I am anchored up several times a day and my 42 Duffy sits the anchor just fine and much better than any of the other boats I have used. No boat lays just perfect especially if the current is strong against the wind but at least this one does not have a nasty snap roll to it even if it is forced over into the beam sea wallow by the current. It feels safe and stable drifting before the wind as well.

Top Bottom