DE boats with Rice nozzle

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60
Last edited:

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
Was just reading the Gerr propeller handbook and he states that those are really only good for boats that run less than 11 kts I think. Is there an article on it?

Cant imagine there would be any control/handling whatsoever in reverse. Probably no prop walk even.

A surprising number of definitive statements in that book IMO.

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
Holy crap look at their gallery section. Add some blade area and a little cup maybe?

image.jpg

googinhater

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 yb. f/v wildlife
The boat handles the same with a nozzle still have a rudder still propwalks with it there is no power lose or propwash

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
The goog is correct. It adds some thrust. They use the nozzles on tugs. I don't think they contribute to speed. They say that on tugs you can achieve a 30% - 40% greater bollard pull compared to an open prop design!

Last edited:

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
Not that I am aware of. Maybe someone else knows more about them. I found the info in a book about tugboats. They are more interested in the thrust, because they can't go faster than hull speed anyway.

KBriggs

Ensign
Website
www.petitmananboat.com
This was a Stanley 44 lengthened 5 feet to a 49` thats what his liscense /permit would allow him to fish for boat length he went from 9 knots to 14 knots and bigger gear I know this because I did all the cutting and fiberglass and and assisted in the installation of the nozzle when I worked at John Williams Boat co on MDI I think these nozzles are more for displacement and semidisplacment hulls not so much on a planning hull

Last edited:

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
This was a Stanley 44 lengthened 5 feet to a 49` thats what his liscense /permit would allow him to fish for boat length he went from 9 knots to 14 knots and bigger gear I know this because I did all the cutting and fiberglass and and assisted in the installation of the nozzle when I worked at John Williams Boat co on MDI

KB - that is an impressive performance increase. Was that with the original power? I guess when you think about it, more thrust = greater speed. But in the tugs it just doesn't happen with the speed due to hull form.

CCtuna

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Some day...
Same theroy as the airplane wing comes into affect here. Helps generate thrust, almost all conventional tugs have them. Ive always learned that theyre only useful in the 10kt-ish range.

KBriggs

Ensign
Website
www.petitmananboat.com
less prop wash you are basically waisting less water around the prop I wouldn't put one of these on say a 46 wesmac that will top end do 27 knots but maybe on a 54 wesmac with a little smaller engine for better fuel economy or a plain displacement hull like a tug the Stanley 44 wasn't designed for speed they were designed for comfort in any weather they were slow and I think this is where a nozzle comes into play if I remember right we did upgrade the power it was a lugger but it wasn`t a tremendous upgrade the boat was 18 years old at the time of this project

Last edited:

sailor of fortune

Rear Admiral
First Name
Jack
Boat Make
2 Home made skiffs
All tugs don't have them, some tugs do. They do give an increase of bollard pull (thrust) but nothing is free. They cost maneuverability due to loss of the side forces that redirected by the nozzles. They will suck up an incredible amount of debris and floating junk through the running gear. One of our company tugs got a piece of wooden piling through the nozzle on a ship docking job in Boston. It did a traumatic shut down on the engine, breaking the crank shaft on a DD 16-149. Very expensive.
I couldn't imagine a scenario on a DE where these would be beneficial. I could see them as an advantage on a groundfish dragger or scalloper.

Top Bottom