DE options??

dtuck

Lieutenant Commander
Hey everyone. We will be in the market for a 31-35 DE in the next 8 years. We will have a budget of 175K. I will be using the boat traveling from West Palm Beach, FL to the Bahamas, about 80 miles one way, through the Gulf Stream, 2xs per month plus local fishing. I would like to be able to sleep 4 adults, stand up shower(wife requirement), a/c, autopilot, hot water heater, genset, etc. We want the boat to be as low maintenance and low tech as possible. We really like simple and functional.
Couple of questions--
1. do you feel 4 people could live comfortably for 2-3 days at a time on a 31-35 ft boat?
2. is my 175k budget in the realm of reality for a new boat that is simple yet has some of the amenities listed above?
3. the Little Bahamas Bank averages about 5 ft deep, draft going to be a problem?
4. any suggestions on builder and hull design?
5. would a 31 be large enough?
6. really looking for stability, functionality and safety.

Thank you in advance!!:D

Powderpro

Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
You will be in the market for a boat in 8 years? Then you have plenty of time to look at various sized boats to see what size will meet your needs/requirements. You will not get a new 31-35 DE boat for $175,000. Based off what you have said, I think a 34'-36' would be a better fit for you. Have you considered a Nordic Tug 32'? The Nordic Tug has a lot of interior space and amenities, a lot more than a 32'-34' DE, and although they are not a downeast boat, their hull design is great for cruising, they have full keels to protect the running gear (like a DE), and they usually powered them with 5.9 Cummins (one of the best diesels ever built).

Last edited:

Powderpro

Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
Here are just a few 32 Nordic Tugs on the east coast that are within your price range, there are even more on yachtworld. If the most interior space and livability is your top priority in a 31-35 boat, the Nordic is tough to beat.

1997 Nordic Tugs 32 Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

2001 Nordic Tug Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

2003 Nordic Tug 32 Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

2002 Nordic Tug 32 Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

2004 Nordic Tug Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

dtuck

Lieutenant Commander
Hey Powderpro. Thank you for the response! I have admired your builds--functional and incredibly we'll built. This will primarily be a fishing boat vs. cruiser. Love DE's for their look, seaworthiness, comfort, beam and economy of operation. I don't feel the majority of boat owners realize it isn't the cost of the vessel, more it's the cost of utilizing the vessel on an almost daily basis. My retirement will consist of being a dock rat and fishing most days of the week. I have considered many times that you should be my builder?? What do you think?

Powderpro

Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
Hey Powderpro. Thank you for the response! I have admired your builds--functional and incredibly we'll built. This will primarily be a fishing boat vs. cruiser. Love DE's for their look, seaworthiness, comfort, beam and economy of operation. I don't feel the majority of boat owners realize it isn't the cost of the vessel, more it's the cost of utilizing the vessel on an almost daily basis. My retirement will consist of being a dock rat and fishing most days of the week. I have considered many times that you should be my builder?? What do you think?

I would build you a boat, only if I could do all the work in sunny south Florida :D. You line up a shop in south Florida, and we'll talk.

When you list necessities such as 4 people living comfortably for 2-3 days, stand up shower, generator, hot water, A/C, and auto pilot, that is more than just a fishing boat, that's a cruiser ;). A fishing boat is what I build; no generator, no A/C, no hot water, no stand up shower, no auto pilot, no living comfy and cozy for 3 days. My boats are built to track down and kill fish. I'm just sayin', I think a Nordic Tug 32' fits all your requirements, and I think your wife would appreciate all its comforts.

dtuck

Lieutenant Commander
How about buying used and reconverting house to our needs?? Suggestions?

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
Last edited:

Powderpro

Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
WOW that's an awesome price. The hull and top kit 140K alone.

I wonder what their Yb build pricing is like. The YB hull kits are listed significantly cheaper than the Cbs

Actually the 34 CB hull is $24k and the top is another $12k, for a total of $36k for the hull and top. That is not the top mechanically attached/glassed to the hull, which would probably cost you at least a few more thousand dollars for that extra glass work. But I agree, a new 34 boat with engine and mechanics, all built and useable for $198k is a good deal in my opinion.

WC1966

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Webbers Cove 34

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
Oh i saw the kit price at 144k. That must be semi finished with no power?

DBM

Commander
Lite User

Latest Posts

Top Bottom