DE Why?

MarkP

Ensign
As a newbie to this forum. I gotta ask why the love for this style of boat? I am reading this forum and seeing guys put a ton of work and cash into hulls that are 15,20,25,30 even 40 yrs old why? I know a 40 yr old Grady would be dumped what is the reason these boats are so much different? Is it nostalgia? I do see the beauty as well as the ability for the platform to be either a working hull or a cruiser it just seems the DE has a following that is unique. Also many of you mention different keels please explain as my limited knowledge thought sails were the only boats with a keel?

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
There is a good book....Maine Lobster Boat by Virginia L. Thorndike....where designers and builders explain different type hulls.....now I think one of the main reasons other then being very economical to run....when you get caught in the shit there is no better boat design to be in.....

SameDirection38

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Youngbrothers, and Calvin Beal are the only way to go.
(in a Morgan Freeman voice) Sir the question is not why, but why not?

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
FOr me I sort of just grew into it. I realized I didnt care how fast I go, wanted something seaworthy and comfortable, and was tired of the generic white fiberglass thats out there. Most of these boats are just so gorgeous too-

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

GLA

Commander
on a down east boat you gain quite a bit of confidence, there is always a knot in your throat , when 100 miles off the beach in a planing hull, typical sport fish, that a 4-6 ft head sea will rise up and make your life a living hell for the next 15 hrs on the way home, with a down east that knot goes away. you have the confidence to know that if the seas do come up, you can still drink your cup of coffee doing 16 knots and get home no matter what.

there is also the issue of efficiency, down east boats are generally slippery. run more cost effective, they let you get offshore for a lot less than a typical planning sport fish boat.

offshore31

Captain
El Mar says it all. Spend some time searching through here and you'll see why many of us have switched to DE's

duxbait

Captain
Downeasts are all hand made one at a time. The quality is far greater then that of a production boat such as a Grady. A Grady won't last ten years of commercial use, where as these boats live many lives. A DE is not for everyone, but those who make the switch rarely go back...

jwalka51

Captain
Boat Make
26' Webber Cove lobster boat.
A 40 year old grady white is made out of shit glass shot out of a chopper gun only about 1/4 inch thick. Most of those old DE hulls are an inch thick below the water line some of them more., And just about every single one, new or old is hand laid by craftsman with years of experience. So as long as there ate no structural issues, then a 40 year old DE is a good boat.

I Myself just paid 35,000 for one thats 28 years old and she is solid as a rock. If you do some research and take a few rides and do some work on some of these boats you will soon see that there is no finer a vessel than a maine built lobster boat.

JDTOOM

Lieutenant Commander
Quality and safety = peace of mind. When the kids are on the boat with you and the weather turns to shit you just drop down to 3000 RPM or less and push through all the way home.

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
Quality and safety = peace of mind. When the kids are on the boat with you and the weather turns to shit you just drop down to 3000 RPM or less and push through all the way home.

I would agree, never had a white knuckle moment with the kids on the boat even when the sportys were getting it handed to them. Slow and steady gets you home safe.

blackdiamond296

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Alan Johnson 28 w/ 260 Yanmar
Spend a week reading throug the archives and you'll figure it out. :cool:

All your answers are already here, hit the search function.

For info specifically about keel types, search the site for things like:
-bultdown
-skeg
-soft chine
-hard chine

YankeeFPT

Commander
Website
www.yankeemarina.com
Boat Make
If it floats we will be glad to work on it.
Stern-maned on a lobsterboat from age 6 untill age 19 on my fathers lobsterboat. My brother was a lobsterman. Raced lobsterboats at age 12. On spare time write estimates for dream boats that I would like to have. All in all in my blood.

Duke

Commander
Lite User
Boat Make
Dyer 29
Top Bottom