DE without engine box

bavarian323i

Lieutenant
Can you think of what DE make/models are designed to store the engine up front or enter the cockpit so to avoid a engine box?

Toolate

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50

jwalka51

Captain
Boat Make
26' Webber Cove lobster boat.
You can do that to just about any DE. Pretty much every DE is custom built. They can be set up any way you want. The only governing factor is what size engine you want and how you want the boat to perform.

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
I think many of the "built down" style hulls are capable of being designed that way. They have a deeper bilge section below where the motor box might normally be located. Also, specific motors may be required to gain deck clearance. As Toolate mentioned, a raised flush deck is usually part of the design.

raised floor/step

A step is a good option but you have to make sure that you have adequate head room. With most boats this isn't a problem

plowin

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
33' flowers
Thats a great point and often overlooked,with the exception of the builders.
6'4" headroom at the wheel with the step.

Last edited:

plowin

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
33' flowers
There is no point to be made here. Bavarian asked about hulls you could avoid an engine box in, this one you can do that.
As I said if you want a flush deck, not what he asked for, you could put in a 6.7 Cummins and roll a tennis ball from the transom to the main bulkhead but with an 8.3 litre and its significantly taller profile it will require a step as was inquired about. Does that help you with the point.:rolleyes:

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
IMO a step is the way to go, but I am a fisherman who doesn't want water in the wheel house and the step helps with visibility. If I were lobstering I could see the point in not wanting one. In that case a decent size engine will require a box in most hulls.

Capt. Rick

Commander
Boat Make
31 RP Willis Beal
You also have to look at the physical size of the engine itself if you want it under the deck without a box... For example when building my boat there were 3 engine choices which would fit, but a John Deere being relatively "tall" would not fit. As stated, a step up will give you more room. But this can create other issues, like possibly needing to raise the wheel house roof or raising the cockpit deck height as well, which can also affect where the gunnel hits your leg when fishing. Hi Shear hull gives you some leeway to change things like this.

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
The big thing I feel with no motor box is seating. You can bench seat the side oppose the helm & jump seat the spot behind the helm. This gives seating the crew & all can face one another for those long ride out at 16 Knots.

Hw 2.jpg

IMG-20120919-00034.jpg

IMG-20120919-00037.jpg

bavarian323i

Lieutenant
The big thing I feel with no motor box is seating. You can bench seat the side oppose the helm & jump seat the spot behind the helm. This gives seating the crew & all can face one another for those long ride out at 16 Knots.

Thanks for the response

eyschulman

Commander
Boat Make
Devlin 48 & Marshal Sanderling
One of the big problems with many new boats is the lack of adequate height for the exhaust riser above the waterline. If you put your emphasis on the aesthetics of the cockpit you may be trading away long life of your motor.

20070601_3.jpg

Top Bottom