Deck Hatch Scuppering ? !

tomy

Commander
Boat Make
36 Wayne Beal
My Friend has 36 NB whose bomar indeck hatchs are raised up just enough to scupper water away from Hatch. (Keeping water out, and of course no water gets into material.ie wood.My new deck will have no wood, but still want water to scupper away.) I plan on having my hatches raised as well, but have no idea how they did this. My friend bought boat, not a builder so he's out as far as info. So anyone here know how to raise hatch just enough?

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

CaptDave

Captain
Boat Make
31' Eastern w/John Deere 6076 AFM30
Tom,

I believe they just build it up so water runs away from the hatches. Also Hamilton Marine is having a big sale through today on line with significant savings on hatches and deck materials.

Dave

tomy

Commander
Boat Make
36 Wayne Beal
El Mar...think ya got it there.....here's some pics of friends boat. we measured top of hatch to top of deck, and only 1/8 inch dif, but enough to scupper water away, but not high enough to trip ya

boat pics 014.jpg

boat pics 015.jpg

boat pics 016.jpg

tomy

Commander
Boat Make
36 Wayne Beal
time to get back on this topic. in process of engineering under deck support for my bomar in deck hatch. Will take some pics but if anyone has history/experience with in deck hatch install? jump in please...TY Tomy

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
time to get back on this topic. in process of engineering under deck support for my bomar in deck hatch. Will take some pics but if anyone has history/experience with in deck hatch install? jump in please...TY Tomy

The taper of the hatch rim/base shown in the pic appears to be designed to scupper water away?

To me, and I've never installed a deck hatch, it looks like you set the hatch base in some water proof sealant and thrubolt of screw it down???

Downeaster

Lieutenant Commander
I'm not from the school that lays down a bead of sealant and then fully tightens the hatch down. Too much sealant is lost and this is the most common sealant failure cause for windows - essentially the same installation process. What you want to do is allow the sealant to setup for a period of time before tightening the screws to it (so to speak). Check around for installation instructions (often a *.pdf file) on the websites of marine window and hatch manufacturers. David Pascoe's website gives some good advice on this too. Keep in mind that ymmv depending upon the brand of sealant you use. Bottom line? Even a half-assed job will work in the short term but the correct installation will ensure that you have a watertight seal for years to come. Don't use 5200 for hatch or window installs!!!

Raider Ronnie

Vice Admiral
Lite User
Website
www.bostonharborcharters.com
Boat Make
33 Flowers.

Downeaster

Lieutenant Commander
My boat I have 7 Anchor brand hatches.
Don't have 1 of those Bomar hatches.
I know they are top notch but I've wondered about that t handle design.
Every boat I've been on that handle area is filled with water.
How leak proof are those handles.
I imagine there is some kind of seal.

I've never known a quality hatch (Freeman, Baier, Lewmar, etc.) to leak and my guess is that this is a result of a proper seal and the fact that they get very little use - no more than a half turn. I would expect problems with the Asian knockoffs (or any hatch lacking approval from a recognized certification society or the Canadian or US Coast Guard). Obviously they will eventually leak but that seems to be several years down the road. Perhaps others here have differing experiences?

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
My Friend has 36 NB whose bomar indeck hatchs are raised up just enough to scupper water away from Hatch. (Keeping water out, and of course no water gets into material.ie wood.My new deck will have no wood, but still want water to scupper away.) I plan on having my hatches raised as well, but have no idea how they did this. My friend bought boat, not a builder so he's out as far as info. So anyone here know how to raise hatch just enough?
Tomy,when people install the Bomar hatches....most will route out the deck the thickness of the edge of the hatch so she sits flush....this will keep you from catching and tripping over the edge of the hatch....but it seems that you want to bed the hatch on top of the decking....i dont think it is necessary to raise the hatch....bomars design has enuff bevel to scupper water away...good luck

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
I taped and wax papered mine then faired it with hull and deck to fair it in. The other one I didn't bother with.

harpoon83

Commander
First Name
Colin
Usually you put the sealant down, drop the hatch on top of it, put your screws in slightly, let the sealant set up for a given amount of time. and then you tighten the screws. this lets the sealant stay where you put it, instead of squeezing out the sides when you tighten them down while its still wet.
As far as putting a bedding down under the hatch to build it up, I would think that gives water more opportunity to get in instead of just putting it flush on the deck and letting the bomar hatch do the scuppering.

Bill

Founder
Boat Make
27 Terry Jason
Here is what I think the OP was talking about.. Maybe a 1/4" ring around the hatch glassed in to keep water away from seam.. If you look closely you will see

image.jpg

Top Bottom