Deck Support

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
So I am happy with using 2x4 pressure treated wood to support my deck. Ive had them on 3 boats now and have not a been a problem until now.

Under some of my hatches that leak water and or from opening the wood is starting to rot.

So I was wondering what alternatives I have to the 2x4's here and any pictures with them would be good. Do I just wrap some 2x4's in glass for this or what.

When I get home I will post some pictures.

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
I totally agree but I have yet to see how they have been tied in. I saw some I beams running across a deck once in Maine but didnt see how the verticle tied in...

jwalka51

Captain
Boat Make
26' Webber Cove lobster boat.
I would assume that you would just glass them in. As far as the deck goes, I would just use some quality stainless screws right through the top of the I beam, just enough off center to miss the web of the beam.

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
I agree I can glass them but would rather go back with something better. This is a picture from underneath.

Funny enough but I believe this water isn't happening anymore... As engine does not show it. Hell maybe its not even from water as this is inside the house...

photo (38).jpg

pugsley

Captain
doesn't look like water rot to me, looks like some ventilation would have helped out.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
I agree I can glass them but would rather go back with something better. This is a picture from underneath.

Funny enough but I believe this water isn't happening anymore... As engine does not show it. Hell maybe its not even from water as this is inside the house...

WTF is that? Looking up at the deck and that is the beams (those hairy things?)?

Never seen wood take on that look. Any chance the old sound insulation used to go under the beams and was holding a pool of water at the low point created there? Only ask b/c it looks like there is some kind of insulation to the R in the pic and evidence of it all around. Just what you want to do....

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
WTF is that? Looking up at the deck and that is the beams (those hairy things?)?

Never seen wood take on that look. Any chance the old sound insulation used to go under the beams and was holding a pool of water at the low point created there? Only ask b/c it looks like there is some kind of insulation to the R in the pic and evidence of it all around. Just what you want to do....

Look at enough boats and you will see some wood looking like that. That's why you see some guys opening hatches while at the dock and letting it breath under deck on a dry day.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
I have owned a number of boats and remodeled countless houses and never seen wood fibers hang down like that. Normally the wood retains some of its shape but distorts but that looks like all the softer parts of the grain are gone and the harder grain lines are now just hanging- has to be heat related no?

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
I'm guessing there are a number of people here who have seen it...

Could be more prevalent in the hot damp south, and that boat has spent some time here.

winterking

Captain
Lite User
First Name
Tom
Boat Make
26’ Duffy

Lion's Paw

Lieutenant Commander
Website
www.divehatteras.com
Boat Make
42 Duffy
Actually that is not uncommon to see this on wood members that are not painted or otherwise protected. Seen it many times on a good number of boats.

What this actually is the wood fibers have been separated by expansion of the salt as it dries. Happens after repeated wet/dry cycles and only if the wood has some ability to soak up the salt water like pine and other similar species. The wood gets that "hairy" look to it. Many times once the wood is dry you can scrap it down to solid wood and then paint or cover with resin and problem usually goes away. These pieces are a bit far gone for that.

You could replace with similar wood products and just paint them well and it will last for years. But find and fix the leaks that let the water run down those beams...

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
Yep, from the same neighborhood for almost three decades.

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
Referring to winterking's boat above.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
Happens after repeated wet/dry cycles and only if the wood has some ability to soak up the salt water like pine and other similar species. The wood gets that "hairy" look to it. Many times once the wood is dry you can scrap it down to solid wood and then paint or cover with resin and problem usually goes away. These pieces are a bit far gone for that.

Wood is amazing stuff really- thanks for the explanation. Just when you think you have seen it all.

Top Bottom