Decoring/through bolt short cut?

backman

Captain
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36
I'm skeptical - need a reality check here.

My marina suggests that I can drill holes for throighbolts, decore, fill the holes with epoxy and put the bolt in while the epoxy is hardening to avoid a 2nd round of drilling later on.

Good practice or bad practice?

Capt Dave

Lieutenant
I'd say bad practice. One of the reason for the decored/epoxied area is so the bolts won't compress the cored material and have something solid to seat against. If the epoxy has not hardened you could still compress the core.

jerseysportfisher

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bertram 33SF
No, unless you wax the bolt you'll never get it out. Drill hole bigger then bolt, fill hole (doen't need to be epoxy) it can be poly mixed with cabosil / micro balloons. Re-drill for TAP size, then tap hole.

hntrss

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31 Duffy
I have installed many items, on many boats. A great trick that works well for me is to get a piece of aluminum tubing with an inner diameter the same as the bolt going through whatever it is you are mounting. Drill the hole for the OUTER diameter of the tube. Hold the tubing so it is exactly flush to one side of the hole. Have someone mark it where it comes through the other side. Now cut the tubing and done correctly, you have a piece that is exactly flush on both sides of material. Next I epoxy the outer of the tubing and install it in the hole, taping it in place. After it sets up, you can mount whatever it is, with some sealant and you have a waterproof, crush proof fastening. I have always felt that crushing causes more water intrusion than anything else. Try it, it works well. Home Depot, lowes and ace hardware all have many different size tubing and its reall easy to cut.

pugsley

Captain
it's really not that hard to drill a hole, even if you have to do it twice

hntrss

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31 Duffy
I use the tubing more on hardtop type installs, which on boats like center consoles and such, they typically have real thin skins and real prone to crushing.

backman

Captain
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36
Thanks - we have drilled twice the diameter; decored and filled w/ West 610 and will redrill w/ the proper diameter tomorrow.

Apperciate the help - as I started this thread - I was skeptical of my marina's "advice".

Sailorgp

Commander
Boat Make
Sisu 26
bad practice...plus I suspect it'd be messy as hell fooling around with 'still gooey' epoxy

starrfish

Commander
Boat Make
35 duffy
i swiped this idea from someone else so i cant take credit for it.... but he used a hole saw, say 1 1/4, for a 5/16 bolt..BUT only drilled through the glass and core from one side, thus leaving a 1 1/4 hole on one side, and just the pilot bit through the other.. filled with thickened epoxy, then redrilled for the bolt.. was a great idea that works mint, and the epoxy isnt running outa the giant hole, you dont need a waxed block backer on the opposite side etc..

DBM

Commander
Lite User

Capt. Rick

Commander
Boat Make
31 RP Willis Beal
Anyone know where to get a de-coring bit? Yeah you can you an allen wrench or similar. My builder had a very nice bit with carbide teeth which made short work of de-coring holes.....have never seen one since?

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
slot-cutter-router-R-5206-RB3W.jpg

You can make your own with some fender washers, a bolt and a lock nut. Just cut some teeth in the edge of your washers and cut a relief on the trailing edge. Easy peasy.

You guys and your epoxy.

Red Sprague

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Wellcraft V20
Any reason you can't just goop up a machine screw or bolt with 5200 and use a backing plate or fender washer on the nut side? Are builders decoring every through bolt/screw mount?

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
slot-cutter-router-R-5206-RB3W.jpg

You can make your own with some fender washers, a bolt and a lock nut. Just cut some teeth in the edge of your washers and cut a relief on the trailing edge. Easy peasy.

You guys and your epoxy.

If you want to just buy one it is called a slot cutter. Any decent router bit supply will have them for about 12 bucks.

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
Any reason you can't just goop up a machine screw or bolt with 5200 and use a backing plate or fender washer on the nut side? Are builders decoring every through bolt/screw mount?

Every. Single. One.

Good builders at least, not sure what those other guys do...

captchuck

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
26' Seaway
i swiped this idea from someone else so i cant take credit for it.... but he used a hole saw, say 1 1/4, for a 5/16 bolt..BUT only drilled through the glass and core from one side, thus leaving a 1 1/4 hole on one side, and just the pilot bit through the other.. filled with thickened epoxy, then redrilled for the bolt.. was a great idea that works mint, and the epoxy isnt running outa the giant hole, you dont need a waxed block backer on the opposite side etc..

I do lie this approach my self but I only go about an 1/8 to a 1/4 bigger than the hardware

Top Bottom