deploying a greenstick with release clips

GLA

Commander
was thinking about this last night. you deploy your bird on your mainline.
as the bird moves away from the boat you connect your first rod. then second ect. then when the bird is out to the end of the mainline you hook it up to the greenstick and let the mainline play out until the line is up with the top of the stick and functioning correctly

my question is how many times do the baits on the mainline get tangled.
seems they would be running out right along with the mainline and I would think they would twist up and get fouled up.

how does everyone stop this from happening with a rod and reel setup. ???

I don't know anything about greensticks , have never fished one. would like to someday, just thinking it thru

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

Fvdestiny

Commander
Website
www.destinyfishingscharters.com
Boat Make
38 northern bay green stick boat/30 Calvin beal tuna boat/20 Seacraft Master Angler
one thing you can do is space your line at least 50 feet apart this will eliminate any of the droppers tangling. 2nd using brake tube with roller trollers (this allows ability to adjust just like outrigger clips) to attach your dropper on the mainline will allow your baits to spin free.if they get tangled just pull down on the mainline and let go the brake tube will allow baits to spin free. when all line s are out you can adjust droppers similar to baits in outrigger clips..hope this helps..

GLA

Commander
The one time I was on a boat that tried that everything got tangled. That was during the trial and error phase of the initial setup on that boat though.

Now same boat just fishes droppers off a bandit reel, that is what most do.

I am far from an expert though, I'm sure more will chime in.

even when using a bandit reel with baits right on the mainline, I would think that the baits would twist on the mainline when trying to set them out.
again I am just thinking it thru and have no experience with it.

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

Fvdestiny

Commander
Website
www.destinyfishingscharters.com
Boat Make
38 northern bay green stick boat/30 Calvin beal tuna boat/20 Seacraft Master Angler
the bandit reel mainline is 700-900 # test. Where the baits are concerned ,I have inline crimps act as spacers or stoppers on the mainline..Right behind each crimp is a 6 to 8 inch piece of brake tube ( hard plastic tube ) which is where i attach my dropper baits with a longline clip ( which has a swivel ) allowing baits to hang naturally. The brake tube allows dropper baits to spin which helps but does not totally prevent tangles.. If you look back and see a tangle ,you just grab the mainline and pull down hard and release. This allows baits to spin and detangle themselves.. This is not perfect 100% of the time and requires attention..the tangles are never between two droppers as droppers are spread 50 feet apart and none of the droppers are that long. Its more a case of the dropper getting hung up on the mainline from which dropper is hanging.The bird that is used also affects how much action the droppers will have...the bird that stays plowing 100% of the time will give droppers a more consistent attitude where a bird that plows and releases 10-15 feet creates more jumping action to the droppers and inherently more tangles..and lastly sea condition and speed boat is trolling also can affect attitude of droppers and bird...hope this helps,,,Ive also had bird attacked by every pelagic in the ocean including the largest blue marlin I've ever seen air out with the 50 # bird in his mouth.......

greg

Captain
Funny you say that. Last trip my son pulled in the bird and it had blood on it and was ripped up like something bit it hard.

At least we got it back. ;)

My droppers are 50 feet apart. There is no way given their length that two droppers can tangle together unless a fish grabs a trailing hook and rushes forward, doubling the line back on itself. I'll take that problem though.

Remember, the droppers can swing over the mainline and not cause a tangle. When a line connected to a rod swings over the mainline it stays there. You have no way to pass the rod line back over the mainline unless you have 50 foot arms.

Aloop

Commander
When you haul back the bird or fight a fish do you disconnect the line from the stick?

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
I believe its on a 100lb breakaway line... atleast thats how mine will be rigged the first time, lol until I learn more... hopefully get the bird today:)

greg

Captain
The basic setup has a snap line between the mainline and stick. It's purpose is to break when you get a fish on. This is VERY important. You never want a large fish on the stick. You will either break the stick, your boat, or in a worst case situation - get tipped over if pulled sideways.

If you just reel it in, the pressure will come off the stick line as you haul it back and you just disconnect it before continuing the reeling. If a fish is on, it breaks free and you rell the fish in on the mainline.

You can find this diagram at pop marine.

popgreenstick.jpg

GLA

Commander
The basic setup has a snap line between the mainline and stick. It's purpose is to break when you get a fish on. This is VERY important. You never want a large fish on the stick. You will either break the stick, your boat, or in a worst case situation - get tipped over if pulled sideways.

If you just reel it in, the pressure will come off the stick line as you haul it back and you just disconnect it before continuing the reeling. If a fish is on, it breaks free and you rell the fish in on the mainline.

I was just questioning the deployment of a greenstick with three or four
conventional reels running to release clips. not running the mainline off of a hyd bandit reel to bring in the fish. just using the bandit to deploy or retrieve the bird and mainline.
seems like a rod fished to a release clip could flip over the mainline on deployment and would be over the mainline if a fish hit it. could be a mess

greg

Captain
My last post was in response to aloop above.

The few times I tried to use a release clip was a total cf. Not going to go bck to it until everything else is nailed down.

Top Bottom