Depth finder grounding

Bawugna

Lieutenant
I have a CVS 106 and am pretty attached to it. I like the display and it is simple and clear. It fits my needs and I am very happy with it. I changed out my transducer 3 or 4 years ago. The last one worked like a charm for way too long :rolleyes: and I swapped it out and went on my merry way. Just this year, the temperature portion of it went on the fritz and then I started to get a choppy bottom signal. There would be blank periods where it seems that ther is not reliable signal.

A guy at the dock told me that the transducer failed so quickly because it is not secondarily grounded. He said that there is an additional ground screw on the back of the CRT unit. I found that screw and honestly never heard anything about it before.

Will I be doing the right thing by running a ground wire from that screw to my bronze ground plate system? Will it make any real difference in how the new transducer works or affect it's lifespan? I am changing it out again this spring and am wondering if running that ground wire will be of any benefit or will it even hurt something.

Thanks in advance folks, you guys are always fountains of hands on real life know how :p

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
You also need to bond the transducter to that bonding grounding plate. Simple get a piece of tinned #6 green wire, place a water hose clamp around the ducer stem & place the wire under the clamp. That will bond & ground the ducer. Before I install a transducer I always hook it up the the machine & place it over the side to make sure it works before a full install is done. I don't think the lack of the ground wire caused you the failure problem. In the photo to the very far left you can just about see the clamp on the ducer stem. It is the only photo I have.

storm 081.jpg

Bawugna

Lieutenant
Thanks CaptainLarry, I will install the clamp and wire as you describe. I am going to also hook a gnd wire up to the case. Can you overground an item like that? It will have the battery negative which is somewhat of a ground, and 2 grounds to the ground plate.

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
Thanks CaptainLarry, I will install the clamp and wire as you describe. I am going to also hook a gnd wire up to the case. Can you overground an item like that? It will have the battery negative which is somewhat of a ground, and 2 grounds to the ground plate.
No one for the case & one for the ducer is pro.

Top Bottom