Detroit 4-53

RT46

Lieutenant Commander
weight of the engine and gear may be an issue on a garvey

pugsley

Captain
a 353 is a couple hundred pounds lighter, i'm sure it's still heavier than a gas motor. it'll damn sure run a long time, but they are loud. probably somewhere around 100 hp.

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
453# weighs a lot...In addition it will take the fillings out of your teeth. Just because it is a 4 cylinder do not under est is size & weigh. If you put an old dog like that into a 22 garvey, chances are you will only see her a low tide.

lobstercatcher

Rear Admiral
nope.. I can still hear those things running even though last one I was around was about 30 years ago! You could probably get a ford lehman or even a Volvo , BillD had a low cost Volvo for sale.. Maybe he still has it.

pugsley

Captain
you are going to die dredging crabs in the raritan bay in that boat. that bay is no place for a garvey.

that being said, put a gas motor in.

Kodiakan

Commander
4-53

For the price of a good diesel you could install a bracket and outboard which would leave an open deck. That's assuming your transom is standard thickness
Seen it done many times.

pugsley

Captain
There's been plenty Garvey's dredging crabs and raking clams there before me, I guess if you wanted to get technical Sandy Hook Bay but when you grow up on it its all the "Bay".

yeah i've been there clamming, that's why i know, and a guy i knew sunk, and died in a 22 foot garvey coming in from clamming there.

GLA

Commander
can you find a trans for that motor?

a couple of years ago I was looking for a trans for a 353 and could not find one anywhere.

the engines are so old now that no manufacturers are making a trans to fit an old style Detroit. this is just what I found, hope you have better luck

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
Bill, I like your priorities. People still call me nuts for going to the canyons at 7.5kts. Then do not believe me when I fill up for 160 gallons after 5 days. Good luck with the project and hope to see you posting pictures up here.

pugsley

Captain
can you find a trans for that motor?

a couple of years ago I was looking for a trans for a 353 and could not find one anywhere.

the engines are so old now that no manufacturers are making a trans to fit an old style Detroit. this is just what I found, hope you have better luck

velvet drive, there are a million of them

WRHardie

Commander
I'm unfortunately living in Ohio right now but bou
yeah i've been there clamming, that's why i know, and a guy i knew sunk, and died in a 22 foot garvey coming in from clamming there.

Every couple years someone goes down out there same as any other fishery. Not for nothing but quite a few of those guys don't exactly take care of their boats as much as they take care of their "habits". Not saying every clammer out there is that way but a lot of the guys run boats I wouldn't run to the dumps! If you take care of your equipment than it takes care of you.

pugsley

Captain
Every couple years someone goes down out there same as any other fishery. Not for nothing but quite a few of those guys don't exactly take care of their boats as much as they take care of their "habits". Not saying every clammer out there is that way but a lot of the guys run boats I wouldn't run to the dumps! If you take care of your equipment than it takes care of you.

his boat was decent, , for a garvey, and he had no habits. don't get me wrong, i've dug a million clams out of one, and still own one, but that is no place for one of those boats.

WRHardie

Commander
I'm unfortunately living in Ohio right now but bou
Chicken Breast or a flat scow style Garvey? Either way its really not going to sway me I've seen the bay frothing to where you could skip a stone from my house to the bug light and fished it in everything from a 12' seanymph on up to 30+footers. Point is your ideal boat might be my POS and vice versa, a well built chicken breast gives me enough V so I don't pound to hell and leaves me enough room to slide into the shallows up in the river when those grounds get opened. Not to mention it can be affordably built and tweaked as I see fit.

pugsley

Captain
no it was flat botton, it rolled going back into the river, a cold front struck, and tide was ripping out of the river, and he had a bunch of clams

Top Bottom