Did the NMFS drop the Dolphin/Wahoo permit?

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
Is it now just a bycatch fishery with general catagory? I cant find shit on NOAA or NMFS

greg

Captain
Thanks Frigate! Thoose websites are a spider web of bullshit.

Yeah, it's managed by the southern regional office. If you don't already have a vessel operator card, you may want to get one from the north east office first since they don't charge. Otherwise it will cost $50 from the southern boyz.

I'm still trying to figure out if I have to file a separate vtr with sero to cover the trips, or if my vtr's to nero will suffice. It will suck if I have to file twice and keep two logs.

Frigate

Captain
Boat Make
38' Duffy/Flower
greg,

Your right about the operator permit plus you have to pay for each permit you want from the sero. As for log books yes it is better to use a log book for each nero and sero. Nero says to put it in their log book with the rest of your catch and at some point in the future the information will get to sero. Don't know how that sits with sero. Also wait to the year sero chooses your boat for the economic part of the log book. They want to know everything that went on during the trip down to how many sheets of toilet paper were used.

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
I ran a commercial boat in FL. Id rather not even deal with thoose assholes lol.

Every had an "Observer" on your boat?

greg

Captain
The kindly folks from Miami just sent me a log book complete with stamped self addressed envelopes.

Guess that answers that question.

Like I'm going to catch enough mahi or wahoo to bother keeping track of.....

Oh well.

Frigate

Captain
Boat Make
38' Duffy/Flower
Badlatitude,

No, "Observer" on the boat yet. I look forward to an "Observer" the same way I look at getting a colonoscopy.

gerg,

Make sure you send in your did not fish forms in the back of the log book. I missed one last year and got a nasty letter in December saying if I did not send in a did not fish form for the month I missed there would be no renewal of my permit.

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
Badlatitude,

No, "Observer" on the boat yet. I look forward to an "Observer" the same way I look at getting a colonoscopy.

gerg,

Make sure you send in your did not fish forms in the back of the log book. I missed one last year and got a nasty letter in December saying if I did not send in a did not fish form for the month I missed there would be no renewal of my permit.

We wound up with a cute chick straight out of college. Id be she never stepped foot on another commercial boat after that trip :?

JoFishes

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Seaway, Kinnamon, Carolina
We wound up with a cute chick straight out of college. Id be she never stepped foot on another commercial boat after that trip :?
Trust me, they get over it! I had em'on my boat for 5 years.....guys and gals.
Swore that some of em had flames comin off their shoes/boots when leavin the boat.....but they kept sending newbies for me to torture.
Funny thing, they stopped sending them, guess I caught too many sharks and that didn't figure to their data set!
FWIW,JO;)

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
Trust me, they get over it! I had em'on my boat for 5 years.....guys and gals.
Swore that some of em had flames comin off their shoes/boots when leavin the boat.....but they kept sending newbies for me to torture.
Funny thing, they stopped sending them, guess I caught too many sharks and that didn't figure to their data set!
FWIW,JO;)

hahaha nice

JoFishes

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Seaway, Kinnamon, Carolina
BTW, and more on thread topic. NMFS has not dropped the dolphin/wahoo permit and operator cards. The permit, at least down here in the southeast region is an "open access" permit which means anyone can apply for it and get it. It's one of the few still obtainable without having to buy one from someone else.
I also understand there will be some changes coming down the pike for 2014 regs., at least in my region. Time will tell what they will be.:rolleyes:Jo

Members online

Latest Posts

Top Bottom