Diesel engine survey recomendations

Rockasauras

Captain
May be needing a diesel engine surveyor in the near future. I am looking at a Volvo powered vessel on the Cape and would prefer someone with expertise with the above. Could anyone refer a competent source and maybe a heads up on any quirks or things to pay particular attention to on a 63P ?

Thanks and HAPPY NEW YEAR to all !!!

ps. if this falls through next in line is a 3208 CAT powered vessel, also on the Cape.

Hammer Slammer

Commander
Boat Make
35 Duffy
I am not sure if he is around any more but Tracy jorghasan in harwich is a good Volvo guy. He worked on a lot of the commercial Volvos down there.

pete3046

Ensign
I have a pair of 63p's. They are a good motor and easy to survey. If you really think you need a volvo guy, try Niemac marine in New Bedford.

plowin

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
33' flowers
63P @ 370hp and the 63L at 318hp are bullet proof engines. The do have a history for blowing the bearing in the idler pulley($15), just have a new bearing pressed in and they also had a tendency to have the bolts for the intake manifold loosen up a bit. The aftercooler and heat exchanger are best served when boiled out every two years. Keep your engine zincs fresh and have the injectors pop tested every 1500 hours or so. Volvos in that age group and series tended to have there injectors almost all need srvicing by then. The tell tale was always black soot on the transom and a reduced boost pressure from the turbo. You may also want to replace the expansion tank cap as they too seem to not last forever. Just like the bearing there is no need to get a volvo cap, just get a 15lb pressure cap and you will be finest kind.
I realize that this posy did not answer your question in regards to a good surveyor for the Volvo but I owned one of these engines for over 5000 hours and it never missed a beat.The engines are commercial all the way with cylinder liners and a split head, 3 cylinders each. Very robust! Yes, Volvo parts are expensive but if you don't need any I guess it doesn't matter.
One last thing, if the transom is exceptionally sooty I am willing to bet that the aftercooler needs to be boiled out. The engines feature a foam type air cleaner and they are lousy in my opinion. Walker Airsep makes a direct replacement air cleaner for the engine and it helps tremendously with keeping the aftercooler grime free, so I am told.
The one drawback to the engine is that the turbo produces a hefty turbo whine and can get a bit annoying but its nothing a little soundown can't fix.

Last edited:

pete3046

Ensign
Very good input from plowin. To further address the survey, the following should be considered, any Good diesel mechanic can handle it. Oil sample, WOT must be at least 2800rpm, check fresh water temps into hX and out, raw water into HX and out, raw water into after cooler and out, air into after cooler and out. Exhaust air temp. Paint and general condition, leaks, etc. boroscope after cooler. You can than check turbo boost. The 63p really is a commercial grade motor

Good luck!
Pete

Bill

Founder
Boat Make
27 Terry Jason
I used Cape Cod Marine in Dennis.. I bought a used yanmar.. The guy that does the surveys there is a certified cummins mech and went to cummins school for 2 years. He knows diesels. I highly reccomend them .

Top Bottom