Diesel fuel in wet exhaust !

chasintail

Commander
Boat Make
bruno35'
have diesel fuel coming out wet exhaust has new turbo , sounds good doesn't skip . wondering if anyone knows what the issue could be. motor is an iveco 270 hp THANK YOU ( it LOOKS LIKE UNBEARNT FUEL )

WoundUpMarine

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
John
Boat Make
26' Duffy, 23' Seaway, 14' Holland

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
It could also be a cold engine or dirty injectors. Take the boat out for a good warm up and check it when you get back to the dock.

plowin

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
33' flowers
1.) Are you getting up to temperature?

2.) Is this a new problem?

3.) How many hours on the injectors since they were pop tested or rebuilt?

4.) Does the inside of the turbo appear "wet"?

5.) What makes you think its diesel?

6.) Does it do this when the engine is truly warmed up as well as cold?

7.) Is the engine/turbo creating boost within specs?

8.) Does the engine reach WOT under load?

9.) Call Peter(FPT Diesel) once you have the answers to these questions, my money says he will be invauable in resolving this.

Last edited:

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
I had the same issue last year, went round and round, turned out to be a pin hole leak in my gear cooler. I only found it because the gear cooler finally blew out. It looked like unburnt fuel because the gear was running ATF. Might be a place you want to look if the gear cooler is a few years old.

I 2nd this possibility. Tranny coolers often go without warning a 270 most likely has the 63 a gear which uses ATF so it is easy to assume it is fuel, which is doubt as she would be smoking.
Pull your dipstick & look for water. Even if you see no water. It still maybe the cooler. So check the level, as the gear has more pressure to push oil out than to let water in. It is only at idle & rest when the water can make it way in. Lastly if the cooler is over ten years old with no zinc pencil support, it should be replaced with a new unit with a zinc pencil. It is amazing how many boats I have looked at for new owners & the prior owners tap off the oil cooler of the tranny to feed the dripless......OUCH! I have seen it many times, it is a very big NO NO!

chasintail

Commander
Boat Make
bruno35'
THANK YOU EVERYONE !! 1 started ran fine blue smoke , puddle from exhaust looks like unburntd fuel 2. run up to 2200 rpms blue smoke to BLACK SMOKE AS I OPENED IT UP . black smoke turned to gray / white smoke within a minute , moving to fast to tell if anything is not burning. 4 runs fine as if no issues burning gray / white. 5 come back in still making a puddle behind boat at idle.

plowin

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
33' flowers
Skip to number 9 and give him the answers to those questions.
What do you mean by puddle? My gut tells me you need your injectors tested and or rebuilt.

oldshell55

Captain
Boat Make
BHM36 , 38’ young bros ,
I 2nd this possibility. Tranny coolers often go without warning a 270 most likely has the 63 a gear which uses ATF so it is easy to assume it is fuel, which is doubt as she would be smoking.
Pull your dipstick & look for water. Even if you see no water. It still maybe the cooler. So check the level, as the gear has more pressure to push oil out than to let water in. It is only at idle & rest when the water can make it way in. Lastly if the cooler is over ten years old with no zinc pencil support, it should be replaced with a new unit with a zinc pencil. It is amazing how many boats I have looked at for new owners & the prior owners tap off the oil cooler of the tranny to feed the dripless......OUCH! I have seen it many times, it is a very big NO NO!

capt Larry, where would you get the water from for the dripless? that's where I tapped in for mine, before the water has gone through the cooler, no problems 10 yrs, no excessive wear to dripless p.s. I wonder more about the usefull life of the pss itself, in particular the spring inside the bellows, if that failed the water tight integrity of the seal would come into question, if you push the bellows by hand it doesn't take much to let the water come in. I have had great service from it , but am leaning toward the R.E. Thomas flexible in the future . thanks

Last edited:

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
capt Larry, where would you get the water from for the dripless? that's where I tapped in for mine, before the water has gone through the cooler, no problems 10 yrs, no excessive wear to dripless p.s. I wonder more about the usefull life of the pss itself, in particular the spring inside the bellows, if that failed the water tight integrity of the seal would come into question, if you push the bellows by hand it doesn't take much to let the water come in. I have had great service from it , but am leaning toward the R.E. Thomas flexible in the future . thanks
If you tap into your tranny cooler by removing the zinc. That cooler is done. On my Yanmar there was a high plug in back of the heat exchanger that was designed for a water feed, so I had no issues. You and many others have tap the tranny cooler which in the long run is a very big NO NO. In addition with a PSS dripless if a low water feed clogs the dripless will self destruct fairly quickly and the water will flow in once the mating plates get glazed & hot. Dripless boxes are great but when they fail they fail for the worse part. A conventional can fail, but it will not give you the worst case senior.
Don't get me wrong however I will always favor the PSS dripless I think it is a great unit. But you must be on top of your game with a good safe water feed. If the unit has water it will out last the boat.

Last edited:

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
It could also be a cold engine or dirty injectors. Take the boat out for a good warm up and check it when you get back to the dock.

I would say Blitzen is correct.....the same thing happens on cold days as the electronic motor is dumping a lot of fuel on start up

Roy-c

Commander
PSS seals

Not to change or steal the thread but PSS says the bellows has a six year recommended lifespan. There is a maintenance kit available.

Top Bottom