Diesel Fuel Tank Size Question help!

Captain
My buddy has a old boat with 2 steel fuel tanks and he does not know how many gallons each one holds, both same size and are 4.3 feet long x 1.5 feet wide by 1.5feet high. anyone know how many gallons these tanks can hold? I know there must be a way to convert?

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
1 cu. foot = 7.48 gallons.
4.3' x 1.5' x 1.5' = 9.67 cu. feet.
9.67 cu. feet x 7.48 gallons/cu. foot = 72 gallons per tank.

Captain
Thanks Gurry and Keel for the very fast reply and thanks for letting me know how to come up with the total gallons. :)

Captain
steve, when I do your numbers I come up with 71.5 gallons not 63? 51x18=918x18=16524div by 231=71.53 I just want to make sure I am doing this right. How did you come up with 63 gallons?

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
steve, when I do your numbers I come up with 71.5 gallons not 63? 51x18=918x18=16524div by 231=71.53 I just want to make sure I am doing this right. How did you come up with 63 gallons?

Fat fingers hit wrong numbers !! 72 gals is correct. Sorry about that.

Del

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Webbers Cove
If you have an iThingy, there's a nice freebee app that has a load of easy-to-get-to calculations and info including volume of various tank configurations:
BoatingCalcs

It came up with 72.37 gallons.

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
I had the misfortune of being in a McDonalds one day during the peak lunchtime rush when the power went out all of a sudden. That killed all of the registers. The manager handed out pocket calculators so the people working the registers could at least determine the correct amount of money to charge, and the correct amount of change to give back in an attempt to keep things rolling for a bit. Surprise, surprise, surprise. Not one person could even use a calculator! The girl working at my line tried 4 times to give me the correct change. I could have easily walked out with more than I went in with, but instead told her what the correct amount of change was. By then the lines were so backed up that they closed the store until the power came back on several hours later. All of these handy on-line converters and apps are great. I use the conversion program called Convert by Josh Madison at work all the time. But you should still be able to go about things the old school way just to keep your witts about you. That's why I like to do the math out when trying to explain things.

oldshell55

Captain
Boat Make
BHM36 , 38’ young bros ,
don't need a calculator

I had the misfortune of being in a McDonalds one day during the peak lunchtime rush when the power went out all of a sudden. That killed all of the registers. The manager handed out pocket calculators so the people working the registers could at least determine the correct amount of money to charge, and the correct amount of change to give back in an attempt to keep things rolling for a bit. Surprise, surprise, surprise. Not one person could even use a calculator! The girl working at my line tried 4 times to give me the correct change. I could have easily walked out with more than I went in with, but instead told her what the correct amount of change was. By then the lines were so backed up that they closed the store until the power came back on several hours later. All of these handy on-line converters and apps are great. I use the conversion program called Convert by Josh Madison at work all the time. But you should still be able to go about things the old school way just to keep your witts about you. That's why I like to do the math out when trying to explain things.
what can you expect from people who push the picture of a hamburger because half can't speak English , then the register tells them the total and spits out the change, and they still get it wrong. not their fault, the company doesn't trust them to think, then they go on strike to raise their wages:eek: It makes for a lazy brain, its really sad. should be able to add all that in your head. psssssssssssssss ( that's steam :p )

Top Bottom