diesel reman

moetuna

Commander
I'm going to look at a boat with a 315 yanmar reman . Can anybody give me some advise if these motors are good to go with a reman ? Don't know beans about diesels any opinions would be appreciated . Thanks

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
If the motor was re-man by Yanmar's Mac Boring in NJ. I would say it was done correctly. Get the serial #s of both the gear & motor. Call Mac Boring & ask them about the units.

djmarchand

Captain
Boat Make
Atlas Pompano 23 outboard
This could either be the Yanmar 6LY-UTE or the smaller 6LP-STP. Both are very good engines. They both have aluminum manifolds which requires a special antifreeze to avoid cavitation failures. Also the air cooler requires periodic servicing. The 6LY has replaceable liners which should be part of any reman. Don't know about the 6LP.

If you will post the specific Yanmar model and the boat size, weight and your expected cruising speed, we can comment on its suitability. The smaller model would be better for a 30' or smaller, the bigger one is ok up to about 35'. But all depends on how you plan to use it.

David

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
If it is the boat I think it is it is a 315 LP. Lighter & smaller that the 315 LY which was a great motor but dropped & replaced by the LP. The LY stayed in the Yanmar line & was up to 370 & 440 HP.
The LP for a boat that size is the better choice. One word of caution. She is what is called a zero tolerance motor & the timing belt must be replaced at the recommended service limits. If the belt breaks the valve kiss the pistons & she is doomed. Also valve adjustments are important & the valve must be shimmed & not adjusted. That must be done by a mechanic who is Yanmar trained. Once shimmed & adjusted the valve lash holds for many hours of use.

moetuna

Commander
315 reman

Can someone tell me what is involved in replacing a gas motor with a diesel . I would like to make sure it was done right . What should I look for ?

jplob96

Lieutenant
Boat Make
28 ft. Crowley Beal
What special antifreeze is required for Yanmar 6LY-UTE? (engine is 1995 )

chrisp

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
23 SeaCraft
Can someone tell me what is involved in replacing a gas motor with a diesel . I would like to make sure it was done right . What should I look for ?

I am in the process of converting mine now and I am finding the most important thing is having an extra 0 or two on the number in your check book!! do your homework

moetuna

Commander
Actually I'm looking at buying a boat I believe was converted from gas to diesel . Not knowing anything about what goes into this in terms of what else has to be swapped out to make it right , I was hoping someone here could give me some direction. Why would someone go through all that time and expense only to sell it 250 hrs later ? We have a saying here in NH , BUYER BEWARE .

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
Maybe when it was all said and done they couldn't afford the fuel. How big is the boat?

moetuna

Commander
fuel

28 ft . My guess is that it had a 350 gas in it originally but I can't seem to get a straight answer about that. . Now, 315 hp Yanmar reman. Should get great fuel economy .

sunnyreach

Ensign
Boat Make
Duffy
I am in the process of converting mine now and I am finding the most important thing is having an extra 0 or two on the number in your check book!! do your homework
Chris:
I am considering a conversion also. Where are you in the process; what engine have you chosen and why????

chrisp

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
23 SeaCraft
Chris:
I am considering a conversion also. Where are you in the process; what engine have you chosen and why????

Sunnyreach
I am (was) converting my 29 H&H from a GM 454 to a Yanmar 315 hp 6lp.
The boat is in the shop now with the old motor removed and the new motor ready for installation.I choose the 6lp becouse it fits right in place with very little modification and I was able to use my same gear and prop.
I hit a road block yesterday with a major problem on my rebuilt 6lp motor
I am on hold for a bit till things get worked out. Be very careful when you purchase a used motor.

captjohn

Captain
Boat Make
Henriques
The quality and reliability of any rebuilt engine completely depends on who did it and what they did. For the most part, if it wasn't done by the manufacturer, or by a well known mechanic, both of whom tend to only do the job one way, the right way, it's just not worth getting into. A nice clean and painted engine tells you nothing about what's inside.

Jon Boat

Lieutenant
a guy named greg slayton does really nice paint jobs on his rebuilds

delta performance

his engines would be a good example of what that buys you

jon

chrisp

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
23 SeaCraft
At the end of the day, what will this conversion cost you?

When my marine surveyor told me it will cost more to rehab and repower the boat I should of listened. (that is why i hired him I think)

Top Bottom