Diesel treatment

Merchantman14

Lieutenant
Hey guys. Just got new larger fiberglass tanks installed in our bhm. We had really bad contamination in the tanks when the boat was bought and we are looking g to avoid that problem in the future. What diesel biocides or additive are you guys using in your tanks to help avoid these issues. Thanks in advance.

Diesel Jerry

Admiral
Lite User

MAArcher

Rear Admiral
Not sure if a marine application is different, but I've run Diesel Kleen in my truck (2000 ford 7.3) since I got it. It had 180k on it when I got it and it now has 300+. I also have used Archoil fuel and oil additives with good results. Whenever my truck feels like its getting a little sluggish or buzz tests sound weak, stretching her legs with some extra additive seems to help. And my station sells me some pretty crappy fuel, whenever I change the fuel filter there's a teaspoon of black sand in the bottom of the bowl.

I can't find the test but someone published results of additive testing a while back and Diesel Kleen was in third place, but first and second place weren't easily obtainable, one you had to buy in 55 gallon drums and the other just wasn't carried anywhere around me. So that's why I picked Diesel Kleen and I've just stuck with it. When it seemed to loose its effectiveness, before I spent time trouble shooting or bought new injectors, I tried the Archoil fuel and oil treatments, a few months ago at the end of the winter, and it made a noticeable difference in how the motor ran (I was having hard starts). I top off my 45 gallon tank every week or two (about half a tank) so old fuel has never sat for any length of time, never needed to worry about biocides. But if I did I guess I'd stick with Power Service and try Bio Kleen. Actually, now that you have me thinking about it I'll probably run some Bio Kleen through it just as preventative maintenance.

captjohn

Captain
Boat Make
Henriques
I've been using "AJX Perfect Fuel" for several years now. First learned about when fishing on a boat with SEVERE contamination, we couldn't go very far without changing filters, like 11 miles max. A good friend told us about it, I added it to the fuel tanks, let it sit a few days, ran the engines and generator to get some into them, then a day or so later we headed for Georges Bank from Gloucester. I didn't think we'd make it much past the enterance to the harbor, but we ran the 168 miles, moved around some, ran the generator the whole time, and came back like 4 days later, with absolutely zero problems. I was shocked!

I use it in my boat once or twice a season. I changed my Racor's at the beginning of the season, they were clean, but while they were out, I did them. Couldn't remember when I last changed the engine mounted filters, so I crawled in to see the date I wrote on them when I last changed them, which happened to be in 2015, six years ago! I'm going to change them, even though their probably spotless. But AJX really works!!!

Dr. Chip

Commander
Boat Make
Bruno & Stillman 35
Agreed
Biobor JF.
Directions for shock and maintenance
Buy clean fuel and keep H2O out..
Diesel is $3.79 at my dock in City Island. They buy from a reputable dealer, have water and particulate filtration systems.
Plus they pump tons of the stuff.
My mechanic cuts the filters open at changeout (100 hrs) to see whats trapped. Never found a thing.

Merchantman14

Lieutenant
Great. Yeh the whole system
Was revamped, just looking for what you guys use for the maintenance. Appreciate the responses

Tunacious

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Blackman
With a new tank, you should be okay for a long time. As another poster said, keep water out. I hope one of your fuel filters has a clear bottom to allow an easy water check. It is also prudent to drain a few ounces out of the filter into a cup and look see. Getting fuel from a reputable source is key. There used to be a portable funnel called a Baja Filter that guys used when fueling in Mexico that removed a lot of gunk, water and debris as you filled the fuel tanks. The fuel in Cabo used to pure crap, although it is better now.
Link to Baja Filter:Baja Filter - MyBoatsGear.com

MBILL

Commander
Boat Make
35 Duffy&Duffy
I use biobor and diesel kleen. I haven't had an issue with fuel on my Duffy in 18 years and my filters look clean when I change them..

The boats that I know of that have had fuel problems often buy from dodgy sources or have water intrusion issues with their tanks,

My fuel dock gets about 3 fuel deliveries a week so the fuel is always fresh.

PatriciaLynn

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Repco
@Downrigga is a forum member and is involved in this industry. Give him a PM and see what he says. Always good to support the professionals on here that offer free advice.

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
Although things have changed a little with the diesel and what gets added these days at the rack, here is an old thread on the topic: Diesel Fuel additives?
The biggest thing to do is to stabilize the fuel and boost the cetane. Lubricity is not much of a concern any longer as all the fuel here in the states already has a lubricity improver in it since the switch over to Ultra low sulphur fuel. I have found that the stuff Downrigga gave me works very well, I believe it is a product produced by Lubrizol that he buys in bulk for his fleet. It is a stabilizer and cetane boost. Prior to using that, Opti-lube and Stenadyne and FPPF Cetane boost worked equally well for me.

Codcruncher

Captain
These are the additives that I have used together and worked very well...clean and stabilize fuel and no algea

20210515_122435.jpg

Brooksie

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
I have had diesel cars and trucks since 1968 and boat since 1974. Drove 15-18k plus every year as a salesman. I have never put anything in my fuel and never had a fuel related problem.

Downrigga

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
36' NB
I have had diesel cars and trucks since 1968 and boat since 1974. Drove 15-18k plus every year as a salesman. I have never put anything in my fuel and never had a fuel related problem.
Todays fuel is much different than the fuel used in 1974. Its much cleaner but is also unstable and will absorb water due to the bio blend. Fuel related problems can be occuring without you even knowing it especially with high pressure injection. Marine engines are expensive. It pays to use additives.

Brooksie

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
Maybe. Exactly why I drive a '87 car and have a '72 boat engine.

Downrigga

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
36' NB
There are alot of misconceptions about diesel fuel. Some in this very thread. A new tank does not protect you from fuel related issues. The delivery to your tank or your marina does not make it "fresh fuel". Adding "extra" additive thinking you will achieve better results wont give you any better results. You cant keep water out of todays diesel fuel. Bio fuels have the desire to absorb water. Keep your water seperator in good working condition and remove the water it collects often. Avoid water despersant additives that contain alcohol. Lastly, diesel fuel is unstable. It breaks down rather easy. Use additives that prevent degradation, boost cetane, and clean the injectors. If you do that you will greatly reduce wear and tear on your motor and have trouble free travels.

Last edited:
Top Bottom