Diesel treatment

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
Todays fuel is much different than the fuel used in 1974. Its much cleaner but is also unstable and will absorb water due to the bio blend. Fuel related problems can be occuring without you even knowing it especially with high pressure injection. Marine engines are expensive. It pays to use additives.
Don't forget the heat from the injection pump that works on the returned fuel.

MAArcher

Rear Admiral
Adding "extra" additive thinking you will achieve better results wont give you any better results.
Many additives give instruction for daily doses as well as “extra” doses under certain circumstances. The injectors in my truck have over 300k miles on them and if I go for a few tanks without using additive I notice issues and if I use the higher dose I see a marked improvement. I never saw such results in gas motors but my diesel loves a hefty dose of additive and a couple days of lead foot to clean things out. I think if I didn’t use additives the way I do I’d be looking at replacing weak injectors.

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
Many additives give instruction for daily doses as well as “extra” doses under certain circumstances. The injectors in my truck have over 300k miles on them and if I go for a few tanks without using additive I notice issues and if I use the higher dose I see a marked improvement. I never saw such results in gas motors but my diesel loves a hefty dose of additive and a couple days of lead foot to clean things out. I think if I didn’t use additives the way I do I’d be looking at replacing weak injectors.
I wouldn't be a bit surprised if all you are noticing is the higher cetane level after adding the additive. Cetane will make a big difference.

Downrigga

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
36' NB
Extra dose ....they want you to use their product so you by more. I have done extensive testing with additives. Beyond reccommended dose does zero.

MAArcher

Rear Admiral
I wouldn't be a bit surprised if all you are noticing is the higher cetane level after adding the additive. Cetane will make a big difference.
I don’t think cetane would help much with injector buzz tests though. I think that comes from cleaning and lubricating.

partime59

Lieutenant
First Name
scott
stanadyne has been my diesels treat for many years, dont know much about whats new and hot lick but been doing what an early mentor told me to do, might be something better by now and would like to know about it if so

captjohn

Captain
Boat Make
Henriques
Agreed
Biobor JF.
Directions for shock and maintenance
Buy clean fuel and keep H2O out..
Diesel is $3.79 at my dock in City Island. They buy from a reputable dealer, have water and particulate filtration systems.
Plus they pump tons of the stuff.
My mechanic cuts the filters open at changeout (100 hrs) to see whats trapped. Never found a thing.
The problem with Biobor is it kills the "algae" it's in contact with, then whatever dies drops to the bottom of your tank. At that point, the fun begins with changing out filters until it's all gone. Which can go on for a long time, and start getting expensive!

captjohn

Captain
Boat Make
Henriques
I have had diesel cars and trucks since 1968 and boat since 1974. Drove 15-18k plus every year as a salesman. I have never put anything in my fuel and never had a fuel related problem.
Apples and oranges comparison. Because, in a car, or truck, your constantly using up the fuel in the tank, it never gets a chance to sit there for long. In a boat, your probably not fueling it up nearly as often. And, boats can sit for several days between usage, unlike a car or truck.

Dr. Chip

Commander
Boat Make
Bruno & Stillman 35
Captjohn.. quite true. If things are that far gone the fuel will need to be polished. I think owner of the post was interested in maintaining a fresh system.
So, good fuel, no water and some algaeside (Biobor or similar) will help keep it clean.

Top Bottom