Different Diesels

Bill

Founder
Boat Make
27 Terry Jason
Aside from Yanmar, Cummins and Deere.. who has experience with some of these other engines? What are we talking price wise for an Iveco, FTP, in the 200-250hp range?.. What about Sisu? Scania? Also saw that Hyndai actually makes a V6 diesel now too ( Ill let someone else try that one).. Cant wrap my head around a Volvo either..

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
Bill Id look at what services are close to you. You don't want to pay a tech multiple hrs to drive to you and back to their shop!

Or have to drive yourself multiple hrs there and pack to get an emergency part etc.

backman

Captain
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36
I hear you on Volvo fear but I had nothing but positive experiences through 2900 hours on a pair of D4-260's and I know of many others happy w/ the D4-300's.

manni-yunk

Commander
I have been and continue to look at EVERY diesel out there. Ive had great luck with CATS, but right now I am strongly leaning towards FTP/Iveco.

Dr Dude

Captain
Lite User
Boat Make
Fortier 33 , McKeeCraft 28

Bill

Founder
Boat Make
27 Terry Jason
Thanks,, No I hear good things about Volvos, I have no experience except for 671s and a few cats ..so Im just going on what I read.. I am intrigued by that 236hp Sisu that is in the 28 NB for sale..

Captlvb

Lieutenant Commander
Website
www.missbarnegatlight.com
Boat Make
235 Kencraft
I too always wonder about the lesser know/used engines. I talked to a mechanic that works on them all. CATS, JD Volvos you name it. I asked him if he was going to build a downeast boat what would he put in it for power. His response was Isuzu. Went on to explain how their engines are each original and not just a souped up version of another engine with more power being squeezed out of it. Found that interesting.

As with the outboard choice for my boat SERVICE was my first priority and that choice has not failed me yet. I have truly agonized over the engine choice each time.

backman

Captain
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36
I can'r speak for the others but the blessing of the Volvo D-4/D6's are they are marine engines designed from day 1 for running in a SWC environment. The marinization is part of the engine versus bolt on after the fact marinization.

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH.. Piscataqua and Merrimack Rivers
Boat Make
27 H&H with Cummins QSB 5.9 480 power
Not much to add to the question of "other diesels" but it is safe bet if a marine diesel owner buys from a USA manufacturer that has a large base of on and off road diesels you really can't go wrong with your choice when it comes to parts and service availability. ;)

John 40

Lieutenant Commander
What about Perkins? I don't know if they make them new anymore but
had a 200 hp with 3000 hrs in a 36 newman with no issues. Also still own one in a loader with 10000 hrs. seem like solid engines.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
Its easy to search the world over for engine options and you have to start somewhere but the service, in the event of a problem, especially a big problem where the engine might have to come out or something, is what I decided on. Looked around and found who sold what near me and who offered the best service and bought my engine from them because shit happens.

Heard a lot about these Steyr diesels too- here only of course..

Bill

Founder
Boat Make
27 Terry Jason
I have been and continue to look at EVERY diesel out there. Ive had great luck with CATS, but right now I am strongly leaning towards FTP/Iveco.
Which model? what brings you to that?

I hear you on Volvo fear but I had nothing but positive experiences through 2900 hours on a pair of D4-260's and I know of many others happy w/ the D4-300's.

I had an Isuzu (Norpro) 145hp for 20 yrs in my 26 Fortier. It was a very rugged, trouble free, kick the shit out of it engine that was easy to service(myself). It was also very inexpensive for up keep.
Just my 2 cents.;););)
thanks

I too always wonder about the lesser know/used engines. I talked to a mechanic that works on them all. CATS, JD Volvos you name it. I asked him if he was going to build a downeast boat what would he put in it for power. His response was Isuzu. Went on to explain how their engines are each original and not just a souped up version of another engine with more power being squeezed out of it. Found that interesting.

As with the outboard choice for my boat SERVICE was my first priority and that choice has not failed me yet. I have truly agonized over the engine choice each time.
I have also been reading a lot of good things about them

I can'r speak for the others but the blessing of the Volvo D-4/D6's are they are marine engines designed from day 1 for running in a SWC environment. The marinization is part of the engine versus bolt on after the fact marinization.
Didnt know that.. good to know and interesting

Not much to add to the question of "other diesels" but it is safe bet if a marine diesel owner buys from a USA manufacturer that has a large base of on and off road diesels you really can't go wrong with your choice when it comes to parts and service availability. ;)
Billy.. I get it..trouble is what does that give us? deere and cummins?.. both of their 4cyl engies put out 150 hp.. bump that up to 2-225 and we are talking..

chortle

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Herreshoff Coquina, 1972 Jarvis Newman 36, PT11
Good subject. I have a 41 year old 210 hp Caterpillar and would get another Cat but they no longer produce them in this size range for your requirements. Probably won't be too long before I need a new one so I have been doing some research and for my next engine which might also be similar to your size range requirements. The cost of parts, having a local service shop available and having a design that gives you good access to the regular service components for your installation all rise up to the top of my list. Cummins and Yanmar are everywhere here in the Chesapeake, Deere and other makes not as much.

Noise and vibration of the engine at cruising speed is another good consideration. Cummins publishes some sound rating data on their current engines, I have not seen this data for Yanmar, Deere or FPT. Maybe someone on this forum has that data and can share it, it certainly is hard to find on BoatDiesel or the websites of the manufacturers. A quiet and smooth running engine is certainly a good and important feature but it is not prominent in most literature that I have seen. I would add that to your list of features that factor into your decision.

BillD

Admiral
Boat Make
Which model? what brings you to that?

thanks

I have also been reading a lot of good things about them

Didnt know that.. good to know and interesting

Billy.. I get it..trouble is what does that give us? deere and cummins?.. both of their 4cyl engies put out 150 hp.. bump that up to 2-225 and we are talking..

IF my only choice was a four banger diesel I'd strongly consider the JD4045AFM75.

PowerTech 4045AFM85 Marine Engine from John*Deere

225 hp of heavy American made iron. $22K-$23K no gear. Tier III elctronics

No cheap way out with the EPA regs.

JMO

Last edited:

OLD BAY

Rear Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Eric
Boat Make
Shelter Island 38

BillD

Admiral
Boat Make
Good point Old Bay.

One important point about a Cummins reman (it's officially a RECON)..there is nothing "remanned" about the engine. 100% new.

A "new" RECON Tier I 6BTA has the new large frame Delco alternators 130 amp, the QSB turbo and the updated QSB after cooler along with a bunch of other upgrades.

btw, Tony Athens has had a "few" RECON 6BTAs apart for repair. Pistons, crank, block, head are ALL to Cummins "new" specs, nothing rebuilt, rebored etc.

FWIW, Bill D

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
Talked to the Cat rep today down at the Maine Built Boats symposium, he said that there should be a new lineup next year with Perkins engines in the lower end of the power spectrum.

Volvo rep had a D9 that they slashed the price down to get rid of the inventory off their showroom floor.

Scania and Yanmar were represented but I didn't get to talk with David too much about them.

And Sisu's are AWESOME! :D

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
I think the turbo whistle gets irritating before it gets to 2500 on my 315hp 6BTA. Doesn't give me a headache, but it messes w/ my ears. My 6BTA is on isolators and it's pretty smooth even at idle. Not much time on that engine yet, but it seems to be a good package. Seemed like the best value by far for a boat that size.

BillD

Admiral
Boat Make
dam shame the EPA got involved with all this Tier II,III.IV crappola.

a few years back when they 1st came on the market I bought 4-5 UD box trucks with Tier III ? IV ??, urea injection diesels.

ALL were problematic and now ALL have been replaced with smaller Nissan gassers.

Top Bottom