1st Mate
Lite User
First Name
Anthony
Boat Make
JC-31

Cool Boat

Captain
The way I am reading your note there may be two issues. A polarized gauge lens (or polarized sunglasses) could be what is affecting angles of viewing. If it is a dimming of the actual readout (not viewing angle related) I would suggest wiggling all of the wiring connections when it seems to be acting up. Also check the battery voltage at the gauge cluster. Losing a battery ground is often problematic. Is the dimming less frequent or better with the engine running (and higher alternator voltage)? Usually LED's either work or are totally dead but there could be circuitry issues like LED drivers or wire connections that may have an issue. I had a large multi wire connector on a friend's outboard that caused intermittent fuel pump issues. By tracing the circuit on the schematic, disassembly of the connector, and cleaning, I was able to fix the issue. This would be my first option of checking all of the wiring out first. Check all plugs and connections to the dash cluster. If nothing pans out and if you have money left in the boat fund it might be worth replacing the gauge as a later step in troubleshooting it. Seeing the micro cracks on the gauge lens it might be getting some moisture inside of it, aggravating any connection or circuitry issue. If a new gauge is too pricey a gauge repair shop may have a replacement lens and or could test the gauge too. My gut says its a wire connection issue but with all the Thanksgiving food, my gut could be way off on this one.

Top Bottom