Direction Finding VHF

Blexter

Commander
Boat Make
Northern Bay
Years ago there was a VHF with built in direction finding.... can't remember the manufacturer.
Are there any REASONABLY price ones available now?

sailor of fortune

Rear Admiral
First Name
Jack
Boat Make
2 Home made skiffs
Try Ebay, I think you can put a "watch" for specific Items. I would also call Quincy Electronics, Quincy Mass (Tom Pardy) and see if he has one amongst the rubble. Seatronics in Gloucester as well.

Blexter

Commander
Boat Make
Northern Bay
Safety
I help with a group offering emergency service to boaters. In many cases, the response to "where are you?" on the radio is "I'm not sure"
If spying, GPS with radar link is far better! ;)))
It's really not a big deal, I have found several kinds of RDF equipment but if I could find an inexpensive one like the Polaris was, I would get it. I didn't know if they were still made.

greg

Captain
If spying, GPS with radar link is far better! ;)))

Not if you don't know where they are. ;)

Many times offshore you hear a voice you recognize who is on fish. They say they are at location x, but in reality they are in the other direction. An rdf would betray their sly misdirect.

In reality, it wouldn't be used enough to warrant the expense. But if you notice, pin wheel has one and he certainly doesn't do sar in his spare time...........

plowin

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
33' flowers
Anyone that says "I don't know where I am." after calling for assistance should be left there for several hours. I promise you that it won't happen twice.

Its just more proof that all you need is money to own a boat. Yet if your commercial fishing you have more safety regulations than you can imagine. Most of which are a good idea. Letting some douche bag that has a pile of money and can buy any boat he wants then sail off into the sunset like the Skipper on Gilligans Island is just more proof that our society has its head firmly imbedded in its own ass.

greg

Captain
Anyone that says "I don't know where I am." after calling for assistance should be left there for several hours. I promise you that it won't happen twice.

Its just more proof that all you need is money to own a boat. Yet if your commercial fishing you have more safety regulations than you can imagine. Most of which are a good idea. Letting some douche bag that has a pile of money and can buy any boat he wants then sail off into the sunset like the Skipper on Gilligans Island is just more proof that our society has its head firmly imbedded in its own ass.

Sea tow has a handy app that will call them with your gps coordinates. People still call sea tow every weekend and say they aren't sure where they are. Those same geniuses probably have 4 smartphones on the boat.

Like the commercial says - Humans......

Blexter

Commander
Boat Make
Northern Bay
I didn't mean to open a bag of worms but I'm laughing as I write this.
First, Houston area statistics..... over 250,000 boats within 50 miles of here. We have marinas with over 1000 boats each. Less than 1% are commercial.
Second, we don't fish like you guys do up the East coast. Catching someone on a particular set of numbers snapper/grouper fishing USED to be a big deal. A drifting boat in a particular area - you simply get them on radar and move the track ball. Bingo! Now, the Feds just cut our season to 1 fish/day and 11 day season. Basically, it has closed down the fishery - but that is another argument. We have bluefin but I have only seen 2 in my career. Yellowfin and blackfin are the targets here, at deep water floating rigs and anyone fishes those but you have to travel 100 miles to get there.
Many folks have some kind of boat. Like anywhere, some are very experienced and some should not be allowed in water over 12" deep. I get the impression that, at least in Maine, there is a much higher percentage of working boats or, at least, experienced drivers. Perhaps it's just the websites I have been on.
Our "local fishing site" is called 2CoolFishing - Powered by vBulletin
there are about 2000 active members. It is similar to this one

plowin

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
33' flowers
No can of worms at all. We have a good amount of commercial boats but way more "clueless" boats.

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
Its just more proof that all you need is money to own a boat. Yet if your commercial fishing you have more safety regulations than you can imagine. Most of which are a good idea. Letting some douche bag that has a pile of money and can buy any boat he wants then sail off into the sunset like the Skipper on Gilligans Island is just more proof that our society has its head firmly imbedded in its own ass.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, with no training or license, they can run around the bay wreaking havoc at 30 or 40 knots, but we get in and drive 10 or 15 mph over the speed limit on the road going home and we just might get a ticket. Beautiful.

googinhater

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 yb. f/v wildlife

Yeah, with no training or license, they can run around the bay wreaking havoc at 30 or 40 knots, but we get in and drive 10 or 15 mph over the speed limit on the road going home and we just might get a ticket. Beautiful.[/QUOTE]
Well said buddy well said thats is a great post

Raider Ronnie

Vice Admiral
Lite User
Website
www.bostonharborcharters.com
Boat Make
33 Flowers.

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
Yeah, good point, Ronnie, and they don't have to take a piss test either. What was this about anyway- RDFs? Every one of those googans w/ a new boat should be required to have AIS so we could hail them on the VHF when they are about to run into us or generally ****ing things up. But that would assume they are listening to the radio...

googinhater

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 yb. f/v wildlife
They need to do something its not safe at times thats my biggest fear on the watter its other people but any **** with some cash can buy a boat and some of the whale boats out here are the worst ronnie you know the ones i mean the chick is the worst one run right by you on the hook at 25+ kts to go push the whales

Latest Posts

Top Bottom