Dixon vs Provincial

dave fuller

Lieutenant
Have a friend looking at a used Dixon 48 and a used Provincial 45. I know provincial is a famous Novi and I believe the Dixon is a D.E. Both have 850 hp Cats. The wheel house on each are roughly same and in same condition. Both engines have roughly same hours. Only difference is the hull shape. I'm new to east coast but he has been fishing tuna for years. He's been fishing out of an old 31 Duffy for10 years and now he's set on a "big tuna boat. He fishes Georges half the season and finally says his is too small. Told him about this forum but he's got his own circle he listens to. What kind of speed would he get out of these? Any thoughts would be appreciated so I can throw some new ideas to him.

dave fuller

Lieutenant
Sailer of Fortune, thanks for your reply. If you have time would you give me some reasons why. If any body else out there has any opinions, would love to hear them.

sailor of fortune

Rear Admiral
First Name
Jack
Boat Make
2 Home made skiffs
Sailer of Fortune, thanks for your reply. If you have time would you give me some reasons why. If any body else out there has any opinions, would love to hear them.
The PEI style hulls are made for the shorter steep chop around Prince Edward islands for which this hull evolved. It has a 14'6" beam and shows running speeds in the 20KT + range with 700 hp.
The Older Dixons (Cape island style) are not made for speed, they are made for larger seas of Ocean side of N.S. Even the newer Dixon Hulls have 16'8" beam.
I like them both, but would rather have that Dixon under me when the excitement (WX) starts on Georges Bank. YMMV

tunawishing

Lieutenant Commander
I have a provincial and a freind has a dixon both great boats it come down to what you are going to be doing with it

manni-yunk

Commander
Ive been on a 45 provincial a few times in the last couple weeks - I love the boat. Runs nice, and seems heavy and well built.

I know of one for sale in NJ, if I had 300k Id be all over it!

Top Bottom