Do we have any residential water well pump experts here?

TCL

Captain
Boat Make
Sabre 36 The Captain's Lady
The situation is that 3 years ago we bought a house that has its own water well. The house/well pump is 15 years old.

The problem is that the water pressure fluctuates between 40 - 60 psi, we would prefer the psi to be more steady both for indoor use and lawn irrigation.

What is the best way to achieve this?
A, Keeping the old fashioned pressure switch and add a second pump (Grundfos or Scala) in the house to maintain an even pressure? or

B, Install a new Constant Pressure Switch or Variable Frequency Drive (VFD) as they are also referred to. Can this be done with my existing well pump?

I have been researching both and I'm tending to lean towards the VFD option but have yet to commit.

What say the experts...I'm sure there must a few here on the DEBF.

Tunatown

Captain
Boat Make
36 H&H CAT 3126B 420hp
Im no expert but if you have s pressure tank and a high/low switch you can raise your cut in and cut out pressure i have mine set to turn on at 60 and off at 80 you want a 20 psi spread after your done adjusting check the air pressure on the top off your tank you want 2 psi below your cut in pressure that tank is what your well pump fills there is a air bladder that keeps a even flow hope this helps there are other well systems out there but im no experienced with them oh and the pressure switch has 220 volt going to it so be careful or shut off your breaker when adjusting you will have to run a faucet to drop your water pressure or a hose to get your well to cycle after each adjustment

slow troller

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Fortier 26
Im no expert but if you have s pressure tank and a high/low switch you can raise your cut in and cut out pressure i have mine set to turn on at 60 and off at 80 you want a 20 psi spread after your done adjusting check the air pressure on the top off your tank you want 2 psi below your cut in pressure that tank is what your well pump fills there is a air bladder that keeps a even flow hope this helps there are other well systems out there but im no experienced with them oh and the pressure switch has 220 volt going to it so be careful or shut off your breaker when adjusting you will have to run a faucet to drop your water pressure or a hose to get your well to cycle after each adjustment
Agree with Tunatown settings, my well is set at same pressure and like the man says and be carefulof the 220 line

gary49

Lieutenant
Boat Make
34' Mainship I
You can add a cycle stop valve in the line coming to the pressure tank. Set it at 50#, you’re done. No electrical connections involved, no other equipment changes.

tunafishhkg

Captain
Boat Make
35 Duffy
Before you spend on all pressure related fixes, you have to know what the volume of water is avail vs your needs. When you turn on your highest load section, what does your pressure gauges say while pump is on after ten min or so?

TCL

Captain
Boat Make
Sabre 36 The Captain's Lady
Before you spend on all pressure related fixes, you have to know what the volume of water is avail vs your needs. When you turn on your highest load section, what does your pressure gauges say while pump is on after ten min or so?
I look into that. Part of the problem is that the gage is down in a crawl space, my plan is to set up a webcam so I can track pressure during use.

Top Bottom