Do you paint your prop and rudder

Shortlob

Lieutenant
I am repainting the bottom on my 31 Duffy. The rudder has remnants of paint but none on the prop. Do you guys prime and paint your running gear. My boat will sometime sit a month between uses so I feel I should paint the prop and rudder or else it foul with barnacles. Will it also affect speed and rpm on a single diesel if the prop has paint. I will be using an ablative paint here in NC. Thanks

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

chortle

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Herreshoff Coquina, 1972 Jarvis Newman 36, PT11
I am repainting the bottom on my 31 Duffy. The rudder has remnants of paint but none on the prop. Do you guys prime and paint your running gear. My boat will sometime sit a month between uses so I feel I should paint the prop and rudder or else it foul with barnacles. Will it also affect speed and rpm on a single diesel if the prop has paint. I will be using an ablative paint here in NC. Thanks
Don't put bottom paint with copper on a prop or shaft.
Scrub all the underwater metal to bare metal, hand sand it with medium and then fine emory cloth. Paint it with a zinc rich spray paint, also sold as cold galvanizing compound, it will do as well or better than than most anything at keeping the barnacles and weed off the prop.

pyrofan

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
wilcox and midland
We always painted the rudder and the prop. Sometimes the paint would wear off the on the blades but the hub of the prop always kept the paint on and no barnacles. Copper paint can't hurt bronze.

pyrofan

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
wilcox and midland
That's what zincs are for. On the Hazel W III we always used two large zincs one on each side of the keel bonded to the stuffing box bolts. After 41 years of hard use and all fasteners of either silicon bronze or monel no signs of any electrolysis.
Just replace the zincs and bonding wire every year..after painting the bottom.

Rockasauras

Captain

I see a lot of guys in our yard using Prop Speed coating. Most swear by it. Although it is expensive it may be worth a try down it the warm waters in NC. You need to pay close attention to the directions from what I'm told. I may consider it myself this year...

What year is your Duffy ?

Roy-c

Commander
Prop paint

I talked to the Bluewater paint rep this past weekend about painting the prop. They make a non copper product called Shelter Island Plus which is what he recommended. I am thinking about trying it this year as I had massive barnacle problems only on the prop this past year even though the boat had almost daily use. They have another product that is much more expensive called drive sleek. He said the Shelter Island will work as well for most applications.

nickyp

Captain
Boat Make
20ft dyer
Barnacles grow like crazy over here.
Some swear by prop speed, others boeshield t9 or amsoil chain lube. We mainly prime and antifoul all the running gear with a high copper hard paint, like petit Trinidad.

JSS4287

Lieutenant Commander
Website
www.facebook.com
Boat Make
26' Sisu
I've seen Barnacle Barrier used on props and running gear with good single season results (4-6month season). They highly recommend shaking the sh!t out of the can to get all that zinc mixed up. Prop speed, though expensive, if applied right does have a long service (year round submersion, or two consecutive summer seasons) before reapplication....prep is key with any of the products. Is it just me or does anyone else feel like some years are worse than others???

Shortlob

Lieutenant
Thanks fro the replys. Looks like lots of different options. I was considering Propspeed but it sure is costly. Did not know about the Petit Barnacle coat spray. I need to check into that since it does seems a lot simpler. Im not sure i want all the film thickness of a traditional bottom paint. Would traditional paint on the prop not slow my speed somewhat due to friction. BTY Rock, it is a 2004 hull

Toro

Commander
Boat Make
19 Pointer
Nicky P in Bermuda:

Hamilton to Challenger bank looks to be 15 miles or so.

Do you think theres usually 3 fishable days a week in december there? Or more like one?

nickyp

Captain
Boat Make
20ft dyer
December is usually pretty windy, often gale force. That is not to say there can't be good days. Maybe earlier in December. You'd certainly be taking your chances if you booked a trip in december

Chum Pot

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Parker
for under water metals I have the best luck so far with West Marines brand
CFACoper Free Ablative paint. It's about $220 :eek: , thats less than the name brand, and kept the barnacles off in my water. The copper free for use on metals and i could scrub it didn't come off. Multi coats is best.
I have had not luck at all with ANYTHING in a spray can, save your money, just doesn't work or stay on.

Toro

Commander
Boat Make
19 Pointer
Thanks for that NickyP.. Since you will be doing the hauling and paintwork for that launch going forward, you probably want something thats got a shot at lasting one calendar year?

Top Bottom