Documented Vessel Transfer of Ownership

Guppy

Deckhand
I second Lexie from Coastal Documentation. Been using them for years. They are great. Ph# (207) 596-6575.

NBoldt

Deckhand
Hey Clarke, Genius is right, there’s instructions right on the back of the COD (certificate of documentation). IF it is current, call the coast guard, get the fees, send a check with a COPY of the signed-over COD and not-too-soon you will get your COD. If I missed something somebody correct me please.
If it’s not owned by a single individual or if it’s expired it could get weird… smooth sailing to you.
I did that a year ago and still haven’t gotten my documentation. More info was asked for in December. They are crazy behind due to Covid, and you can’t ask specific questions. It’s all quite odd. The Coast Guard patrols our moorings regularly, and they even had practice boarding. I’ve not gotten boarded, nor given a ticket, so I know things are still in protress. It’s kind of crazy.

crabz

1st Mate
Boat Make
All American
If this old gillnetter from Alaska can do it anyone can ;)
I have owned 9 documented vessels, most of them I did myself.
If a bank loan is involved make sure you add the lien holder or satisfaction of mortage, whichever applies.
All the forms you need are on the USCG document web site.

Crabboater

1st Mate
First Name
Rick
Boat Make
MDI 30 / Farrin
Thanks everyone! I might try it myself if I can get away from normal work. All great advice. I'm always skeptical of a scam for any service I see online.
There are scams and also legit service providers. The pro’s pick up stuff we miss. My seller had a lien and had paid it off years before adn just “knew” the title was clear. USCG disagreed. We had to track down his old lender and get a release.

So DIY may work in many instances. Yet, I am a business lawyer and used to chasing paper, but i hired it out to a pro. I saw that as cheap $ compared to cost of vessel.

Your call.

enjoy wither way!!

Clarke

Deckhand
First Name
Clarke
Boat Make
Calvin Beal 30
Thanks Rick. Makes sense. Better to find something hidden now. Thanks gillnetter, good to hear from the far opposite coast!

TAftw

1st Mate
100% Jason Davis with vessel documentation services in Plymouth MA. 508-746-5905
Jason is Carmen’s son right? She did a complicated documentation transfer for me years ago and was awesome, so yes another vote here for Vessel Documentation Service in Plymouth. Absolutely was worth the money in my situation

Jimsheriner

Deckhand
You don’t need a pro. It’s all on the back of the documentation. Also, nvdc has great information and agents to help.

NVDC link
Agreed, it is a simple process which is very well documented on the nvdc site. You will need the vessel dic certificate and the official USCG Bil of Sale. If you run into a problem, you can call them and they actually answer the phone!

Kailua Kid

Commodore
Website
www.gibbonslawgroup.com
Boat Make
General Marine 26; Klamath 19; Sparkman & Stephens Yankee 38 sloop
I did that a year ago and still haven’t gotten my documentation. More info was asked for in December. They are crazy behind due to Covid, and you can’t ask specific questions. It’s all quite odd. The Coast Guard patrols our moorings regularly, and they even had practice boarding. I’ve not gotten boarded, nor given a ticket, so I know things are still in protress. It’s kind of crazy.
The vessel documentation function was contracted out by the Coast Gaurd to a private company in West Virginia (obviously a bastion of maritime commerce) a decade or two ago due to pork- barrel politics. (West Virginia seems to have the best legislators money can buy.) That company seems to have high turnover and by appearances and performance, is not hiring the crème of the crop, if you get my drift. Written polite follow-up can help your matter to the top of the pile, in my experience with the NVDC. Typically however I use and refer clients to Kim Marine Documentation in Seattle. Mr. Kim is extraordinarily knowledgeable and efficient in handling all aspects of vessel documentation and transfer, and handles such matters literally all over the country. Worth a call or an email at least, for a quote. No affiliation here of course, other than he does occasionally refer clients to my firm when litigation appears on the offing in this PNW jurisdiction involving such transactions.

NBoldt

Deckhand
The vessel documentation function was contracted out by the Coast Gaurd to a private company in West Virginia (obviously a bastion of maritime commerce) a decade or two ago due to pork- barrel politics. (West Virginia seems to have the best legislators money can buy.) That company seems to have high turnover and by appearances and performance, is not hiring the crème of the crop, if you get my drift. Written polite follow-up can help your matter to the top of the pile, in my experience with the NVDC. Typically however I use and refer clients to Kim Marine Documentation in Seattle. Mr. Kim is extraordinarily knowledgeable and efficient in handling all aspects of vessel documentation and transfer, and handles such matters literally all over the country. Worth a call or an email at least, for a quote. No affiliation here of course, other than he does occasionally refer clients to my firm when litigation appears on the offing in this PNW jurisdiction involving such transactions.
Thanks. Right now it’s in my favor as my state won’t accept the sales tax on my purchase, nor let me pay for the “non-registration fess” the equivalent of the registration fee that it can’t legally charge if the boat is documented. The Coast Guard must have records as they search our mooring field for any unpaid boats and charge big fines. I keep all the paper on board. I hear that they spend warmer months documenting commercial and bigger vessels, so I’m sure it’s a matter of time. I don’t want to pay extra for their slowness issues.

paizonmv

Deckhand
First Name
David
Boat Make
28' Muscle Ridge
Its easy enough to do it yourself but if you chose not to Susie Ellis from Coastal Documentation does a good job. Located in Brunswick Maine. Susie is no longer at it but I believe her daughter is.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwis6MH8wKj6AhW3jIkEHRNuB5UQFnoECAkQAQ&url=https://www.coastaldocumentation.com/&usg=AOvVaw24_lFibX8_AlRlydbeRqSI
i was searching for Susie Ellis' on line and couldnt find her number. should have looked here first . Thanks

Brooksie

Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
BE VERY CAREFUL, don't fall into the hands of some of the many bogus documentation firms (many online). You can usually do it easily yourself on the USCG site. But please make sure it IS the USCG site...

paizonmv

Deckhand
First Name
David
Boat Make
28' Muscle Ridge
BE VERY CAREFUL, don't fall into the hands of some of the many bogus documentation firms (many online). You can usually do it easily yourself on the USCG site. But please make sure it IS the USCG site...
agreed and I can personally attest for Coastal Documentation and their professional attention.

Pcollinsmma97

1st Mate
Website
www.falmouthfamilycharters.com
First Name
Peter
Boat Make
28 Albemarle, 18 Ladybug, 20 Novi skiff
You don’t need a pro. It’s all on the back of the documentation. Also, nvdc has great information and agents to help.

NVDC link
Agree. And in my experience those agencies charge you like $350 bucks to literally put the application in the mail for you. Go to the NVDC page, its pretty self explanatory.

TomTobin

Deckhand
First Name
Tom
Boat Make
1988 Ellis 28
Historically it may have made sense to use an agent of some sort. Lately, however, the USCG has made this very easy to do yourself, particularly if you have a USCG bill of sale. Everything can be submitted on line and progress of your application can be tracked as well. I submitted my paperwork in April and received my documentation in August.

novivin

Admiral
Lite User

Fouraces59

1st Mate
First Name
Jay
Boat Make
26 Seaway CC
Used Susie Ellis at Coastal Documentation a few times and great to work with. I heard she retied and daughter took over and per the Face Book page as of Nov 5, 2022 they say they are closed until further notice. Have done it on my own. Thing to be careful of is to make old liens are signed off on. The seller might know a bank loan was paid off but if the lien was on the boat, documentation from the lender needs to be filed to NVDC to prove that and have them remove the lien. Not a hard process just need to have the bank or lender sign a form and submit but make sure all liens have been removed as it will delay the process if it comes up when trying to redocument

Top Bottom