does a downeaster fit my needs

trevor

Ensign
looking to upgrade fron a 21' wa to a 24' downeast or parker wa . how will a 24' seaway handle 4-6footers ,when I head out of Naragansett bay it can get pretty nasty .looking for advice thanks Ron.

Linesiders

Lieutenant Commander
Do true downeast boats in the 21-30 foot range comfortably and safely perform in 4-6/7 foot seas? Is it become a matter of size/ displacement or personal preference? Thanks for any input.

Last edited:

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
Sorry, I guess I am just territorial when it comes to the term "Downeaster". I know there are a bunch of outboard guys out there.
I don't consider novi's to be there either
Just sayin'

JoFishes

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Seaway, Kinnamon, Carolina
Nothing personal buddy! However, the entries don't compare. I do like the minimal stern taper though. To each his own, it's all good!! Jo

JoFishes

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Seaway, Kinnamon, Carolina
Please forgive my "incorrect" terminology. By now you have figured out I am not a genuine New Engalnder.....Jo:D

guitarman

Commander
Boat Make
Dyer 29 Hardtop
I have a Seaway 25 coastal cruiser that i cruise from seattle up the inland passge near prince rupert b.c. about 800 miles and the boat does great in heavy seas take open water well about as well as any 25' i been on

MouseTrap

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Rosborough
Sorry, I guess I am just territorial when it comes to the term "Downeaster". I know there are a bunch of outboard guys out there.
Just sayin'

I understand the your preference in a traditional downeast design in larger boats (and totally agree). But this is the "Pocket DE" forum.

I would rather have this boat than many other boats of similar size. The cockpit room combined with an economical low HP outboard makes a lot of sense with gas prices what they are today (and subjectively, I think it is beautiful) :D.

cape_island_trawler.png

Helen L

Commander
Just sayin'

I def don't consider my Novi a DE boat, but this is the closest forum I will probably ever get for mine. Nova Scotians just recently figured out how to build a boat to last, so I figure a forum is way down the road.

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
I def don't consider my Novi a DE boat, but this is the closest forum I will probably ever get for mine. Nova Scotians just recently figured out how to build a boat to last, so I figure a forum is way down the road.
Tim,I think you should start the web site....your gunna have so much time after you finish the HELEN L.....:lol:LOL...i will join and buy my new dixon 50:p

samson23

Lieutenant
Boat Make
ssamson23
what make of boat is this?

Who builds that boat? what are your specs? i like it.

I understand the your preference in a traditional downeast design in larger boats (and totally agree). But this is the "Pocket DE" forum.

I would rather have this boat than many other boats of similar size. The cockpit room combined with an economical low HP outboard makes a lot of sense with gas prices what they are today (and subjectively, I think it is beautiful) :D.

cape_island_trawler.png

Helen L

Commander
Tim,I think you should start the web site....your gunna have so much time after you finish the HELEN L.....:lol:LOL...i will join and buy my new dixon 50:p

Well if you're getting the 50, I'll have to get the 55. If we keep one-upping, maybe they'll keep stretching the hulls for us! 70' Dixon!

Top Bottom