Does anyone have experience with any sort of aquiculture?

PatriciaLynn

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Repco
I am an oyster farmer in New York (peconic bay) and I can attest to what Greg (and others) have said in terms of how hard it is to start a new farm. You have to be fully invested mentally and physically and count on a series of disasters and have a way to plan for them. If you're interested, the East Coast Shellfish Growers Association is a great resource. This is a good place to start Rookie Mistakes – East Coast Shellfish Growers Association and yes we have all made a few.

The other positive thing I would emphasize is that shellfish farming is the most environmentally sustainable form of protein production we have going. Disclaimer, I eat all types of meat, but shellfish, unlike things with 2 or 4 legs, don't need any fresh water, food, pesticides, antibiotics or vaccines to grow. It's all natural -- they feed on naturally occurring phytoplankton. They also filter the water, making it clearer and cleaner by removing excess carbon and nitrogen from things like septics and land-based agriculture. I've seen eelgrass grow under shellfish farms where it hadn't in the last 25 years.

Shellfish farms also create finfish habitat -- ask any oyster farmer about their favorite fishing spot :)

We also deal with a lot of BS. High on the list right now are the NIMBYs that don't want to look at, listen to, or be anywhere near an oyster farm. Yet, they all love clean water and eating shellfish. And big fancy legal teams.
All true.

Top Bottom