Doggin

Bassin

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Maritime Skiff
I've got a few questions about doggin.. Last year was my first attempt to dog fish and it went horrible.. I tried it without a hauler and oh god did it get messy. Got about 400 lbs for 500 hooks... a lot less then expected.

I noticed the hooks that came up with a dogfish the bait was in its mouth, and the ones without bait had nothing. I used circle hooks but they kinda sucked but the bait was fresh, I used pogies I caught the night before.

Here are my questions:

Do you guys normaly mark them before you set? Or do you just set and they come?

Another question.. does anyone know where i can get my lines baited around Plymouth Ma? Not dealing with that shit again.

anyways thanks for the info.

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
Bassin,you wanna pay someone to bait your set lines...how you gunna make any money that way:rolleyes:...that will really cut into the profits..no

Bassin

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Maritime Skiff
I guess its about 30 bucks a line and it saves hours of work.

Bassin

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Maritime Skiff
Cast netted bait snaggin would take days

paddyboy

Lieutenant
Boat Make
30'young bros.(sold)38'young bros.
11/0 mustad circle hooks, salted herring 3-6 baits per fish,rail roller, setting chute and setting stick. A hot knife for all knots, make sure your totes used for setting have smooth lips or the hooks will hang up. Newspaper between layers of hooks. Tub trawling requires a bit of finesse, but done correctly is one of my favorite ways to fish. If you are serious about fishing on a daily basis a person on the beach baiting up and maintaining the gear is the way to go. DON'T soak the gear too long, we haul back as soon as we are done setting out and idle to the first end set. Oh yeah, try to haul fair tide, otherwise the fish will spin up in the tide.

Bassin

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Maritime Skiff
Thanks for the info. Hopefully I can post some pics this spring of a full boat.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Cast netted bait snaggin would take days

You don't know what i talking about :rolleyes:
a snag baiter set up that your hooks run thru while setting the gear and snag the bait from a bin/tote full of cut bait chunks. No paying anyone to bait your gear. Cape Fishermen's Supply in Chatham can probably get you set up.

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
Paddyboy, where do you get the rail rollers from??and are you using a reg. pot hauler set up??

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
You don't know what i talking about :rolleyes:
a snag baiter set up that your hooks run thru while setting the gear and snag the bait from a bin/tote full of cut bait chunks. No paying anyone to bait your gear. Cape Fishermen's Supply in Chatham can probably get you set up.
Steve,do you use circle hooks with that baiter??

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Steve,do you use circle hooks with that baiter??

I think they use ez baiter style hooks, i'm sure the folks in Chatham would get you all lined out. I spent a few hours in the shop a couple of years ago, all the small boat longlining gear you could want and the owners are great folks. Its the only way i would go longlining. I've thought about buying some halibut quota but at 30+ bucks/lb its too rich for me. Guess i should of bought it when it was overpriced at 6 bucks:rolleyes:
Snow is starting to melt around here it hit 40 today:eek: maybe couple more weeks and i'll be able to move the boat.

Last edited:

paddyboy

Lieutenant
Boat Make
30'young bros.(sold)38'young bros.
Regular hydroslave hauler, take the fairlead pulley off, start with fresh liner plates and a new knife, and a thin gasket between the plates. The tolerances with the hauler are small so minor adjustments to the hauler bolts make a big difference. Ideally a tote should sit flat on the deck beneath the hauler to receive the hauled trawl as it is retrieved. Will try to post rail roller pics at some point, Cape Fishermans Supply in Chatham Mass has units on the shelf that work well.

Super Suck

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Lasco 5' fiberglass
for the auto baiter you need to rack the gear with the hooks into a block used as slots so one hook doesn't pull the rest of the gear out in a ball. no circle hooks needed, can't remember which hooks were used but it was a softer metal that would straighten at the crucifier then would require rebending back to shape while baiting.

duxbait

Captain
In regards to dogging, are we allowed to sell the skate bycatch? I see lots of groundfisherman selling the skate wings to foreign markets... is this because they have a federal permit or are skates something you can take with a Ma commercial permit. I see no endorsement or quota info on the MA DMF website

Hammer Slammer

Commander
Boat Make
35 Duffy
Don't set till you mark them, let it out wait a few minutes and then haul back. There was a guy in Plymouth baiting last season, who knows if he will be doing this year.

Top Bottom