Doghouse Recore/Repair

Doghouse22

Deckhand
Hey everyone - wanted to see if anyone has some recommendations on fixing up a few soft spots on my pilothouse/doghouse.

The glass is extremely thin, was laid up real light by the previous owner. Hoping I could cut out and scrape out the soft ply, or even replace the entire starboard and port side, with the goal to replace the windows with larger ones as well.

With such thin lay ups, is it possible to just recore the bad sides/spots? Will be my first glass project, thanks for any input guys!

AGL

1st Mate
Boat Make
Custom
How thick? What size is the boat? Conditions expected?

Doghouse22

Deckhand
How thick? What size is the boat? Conditions expected?
Sorry should have included! It’s a 22 foot center console, the plywood is probably 1/2” maybe 3/4”. From what I can tell there’s maybe one layer of glass on each side.

I’m never more than 50 miles. Inshore fishing 95% of the time within 5-10 miles.

Cool Boat

Captain
I'd probably use 3/4" nidacore, chopped strand mat (csm) then one layer of 1708 biaxial (same layup on both sides). If mounting any hardware of note like an antennae mount you may want to put a piece of coosa scrap in that one area to avoid crushing. We used nidacore for all of the deck reinforcement on our yacht tenders, it worked out well. For radius corners I would also use coosa (or some resin based filler) but sharper corners would not necessarily need it. Here is a motor box we built for my project this summer. I actually welded up a light aluminum frame to help the design process/check the fit, then used 1/2" coosa 26 bluewater as we plan to sit on it. Check your deck in the area before starting too, just in case that ply is past its prime too. It is only glass on one side since it is not exposed on the other side. If we used nidacore the weight would probably have been nearly half the weight.
1670149546002.jpeg

goin4broke

Admiral
Boat Make
35 Foot Terry Jason (Currently undergoing finishing touches)
just build a new house out of nidacore & glass. I will be much lighter.
I'd probably use 3/4" nidacore, chopped strand mat (csm) then one layer of 1708 biaxial (same layup on both sides). If mounting any hardware of note like an antennae mount you may want to put a piece of coosa scrap in that one area to avoid crushing. We used nidacore for all of the deck reinforcement on our yacht tenders, it worked out well. For radius corners I would also use coosa (or some resin based filler) but sharper corners would not necessarily need it. Here is a motor box we built for my project this summer. I actually welded up a light aluminum frame to help the design process/check the fit, then used 1/2" coosa 26 bluewater as we plan to sit on it. Check your deck in the area before starting too, just in case that ply is past its prime too. It is only glass on one side since it is not exposed on the other side. If we used nidacore the weight would probably have been nearly half the weight.

BINGO!. Lots of advice on here as to how to use it.

swster

Deckhand
I recently replaced a cabin roof with Plascore and found it a pleasure to work with. Easy to shape/cut, very light weight and very solid after glass layup. I would not hesitate to use again for the right application.

Top Bottom